Installing Engine Crash Bars Made easy

zman8537

.040 Over
Ride
2014 ROADSTER
I read somewhere in the posts that installing the front engine crash bars can be a PIA. Well I got to looking at the bike and I had new front engine crash bars to install. I removed the nut on the left side of the front engine mount. Put a jack under the front left corner of the engine with a piece of wood between the jack and engine and just gave it a pump or two to take a little weight off. Here is the trick to making the job super easy. Turn the front wheel all the way to the right and block it so that it will not swing back to the left. (I used a garbage can filled with oil dri) Next I put a ratchet strap on the lower part of the handlebar near the handlebar and ran it down to the support or bar that runs along the bottom of the engine. Making sure that I had something in between the ratchet and gas tank to ensure that I did not scratch anything, I started ratcheting and kept checking the bolt until I was able to remove the bolt with my fingers. Slid it out installed the right crash bar, then the left side. I did remove the front right radiator cover and loosened the mesh screen because it looked like trying to remove the bolt out of right side would have been tight trying to squeeze the bolt out past the mesh screen. I think all together took me about 20-30 minutes and absolutely no struggling at all.

To mount my crash bars I roll my ATV jack underneath the sump, jacked it up until the bolt was able to slide out, installed crash bars and bolt, removed ATV jack.

I assume the one's that say it's a PITA are the one's that have a issue with jacking up on the sump. They go through all this extra cost and struggle to jack there bikes up for a simple tire change. Their reasoning being is jacking up on the sump will cause damage. The sump on these bikes are basically indestructible. Having seen a sump pan in person I was amazed on how heavy, and well built the sumps are. It's not made like a regular tin stamped oil pan. Flame suit on.

To mount my crash bars I roll my ATV jack underneath the sump, jacked it up until the bolt was able to slide out, installed crash bars and bolt, removed ATV jack.

I assume the one's that say it's a PITA are the one's that have a issue with jacking up on the sump. They go through all this extra cost and struggle to jack there bikes up for a simple tire change. Their reasoning being is jacking up on the sump will cause damage. The sump on these bikes are basically indestructible. Having seen a sump pan in person I was amazed on how heavy, and well built the sumps are. It's not made like a regular tin stamped oil pan. Flame suit on.

I'll get the marshmallows.:laugh:

Back