Inexpensive Starter Replacement

Power-Tripp

Turbocharged
The correct part number is 280-0174 from eBay, Advance auto, etc in USA. From a 1999 Toyota Solara 2.2L with 5SFE motor. Details are in post #25 from Taildragger.

---

OK gents, it is time to share a few R3 trick and tips. This is the first - THE STARTER.

The stock starter on the R3 is a 1.2kw Denso unit that is a bit spendy (USD $737.32 plus shipping from Hermey's). Here is how to fix a bad starter for $82.00, or upgrade to a 1.4kw unit (10mm longer, and 16.7% stronger) for $83.70... shipped to your door.

Many automotive engines use a 1.2kw starter, but have a cold weather option using a 1.4kw unit. This is exactly what we need for improved starting in cold weather, or with modified engines.

Remove your starter.
Remove 2 bolts holding starter motor to head plate.
Remove 2 bolts holding gear reduction and bendix to head plate.
Watch so that you do not lose spring and ball.
Clean gear reduction/Bendix and replace with new grease.

ALTERNATIVE from @warp9.9 :

Inexpensive Starter Replacement

Order new starter from discountstarterandalternator.com in Georgia.
1.2kw - part number 17774N $82.00 w/free shipping [280-0174 if searching elsewhere]
1.4kw - part number 17774N_PLA-47 $82.00 w/free shipping
1.6kw and 1.8 kw units can be made to work as well, but these require a slight amount of machining.

Remove the same four bolts from new starter.
Remove gear reduction/Bendix.
Install gear reduction from stock starter on new starter. Make sure that spring and ball go under Bendix.
Replace the 4 bolts.
Install on engine.

Ride on.

If you are really in a pinch, you can use these same part numbers at the local auto parts shop - they can be found on 1999-2005 Toyota Celicas (for one).

I hope this helps,

-Wayne

[Note: this is a current interest topic, and I revise it based on verified input from site members - thank you] [As of: 20171024]

Last edited by a moderator:
OK gents, it is time to share a few R3 trick and tips. This is the first - THE STARTER.

The stock starter on the R3 is a 1.2kw Denso unit that is a bit spendy (USD $737.32 plus shipping from BikeBandit). Here is how to fix a bad starter for $83.98, or upgrade to a 1.4kw unit (10mm longer, and 16.7% stronger) for $83.70... shipped to your door.

Many automotive engines use a 1.2kw starter, but have a cold weather option using a 1.4kw unit. This is exactly what we need for improved starting in cold weather, or with modified engines.

Remove your starter.
Remove 2 bolts holding starter motor to head plate.
Remove 2 bolts holding gear reduction and bendix to head plate.
Watch so that you do not lose spring and ball.
Clean gear reduction/Bendix and replace with new grease.

Order new starter from discountstarterandalternator.com in Georgia.
1.2kw - part number 280-0284 or 280-0281
1.4kw - part number 280-0283 or 280-0278
1.6kw and 1.8 kw units can be made to work as well, but these require a slight amount of machining.

Remove the same four bolts from new starter.
Remove gear reduction/Bendix.
Install gear reduction from stock starter on new starter. Make sure that spring and ball go under Bendix.
Replace the 4 bolts.
Install on engine.

Ride on.

If you are really in a pinch, you can use these same part numbers at the local auto parts shop - they can be found on 1999-2005 Toyota Celicas (for one).

I hope this helps,

-Wayne

Thats great Wayne, in the part numbers above 1.4kw - part number 280-0283 or 280-0278 what is the difference between the two numbers? Is it just two different starters that will work?
Also the extra machining on the 1.6kw and 1.8 kw something a guy can just do on his mill and if so could you elaborate a little as to what machining needs to be done. I was thinking it would be nice if you could buy one already machined from a machine shop or say some machinist that might have time on rainy days to modify some for sale?

I know I should have asked you while we were on the phone but hey I am older than you so I forget more ****ski faster :D

Warp,
The stock 1.2kw motor has an o-ringed lip that fits into the solenoid housing. This lip is 2.751 inches in diameter.

The 1.8KW starter (PN 208-0166)From a Toyota Tundra has a lip that is 2.826 inches in diameter. Nothing a few minutes on a lathe won't fix. Then this motor will fit right into the stock solenoid housing, and use the stock drive. On a few units you may need to lightly grind the edge of the solenoid plate for the larger motor to fit. This gives a 50% increase in starter motor output.
:eek:

Note that this motor is 1.13 inches longer than stock, and will not fit with some exhaust systems.

Warp,
The stock 1.2kw motor has an o-ringed lip that fits into the solenoid housing. This lip is 2.751 inches in diameter.

The 1.8KW starter (PN 208-0166)From a Toyota Tundra has a lip that is 2.826 inches in diameter. Nothing a few minutes on a lathe won't fix. Then this motor will fit right into the stock solenoid housing, and use the stock drive. On a few units you may need to lightly grind the edge of the solenoid plate for the larger motor to fit. This gives a 50% increase in starter motor output.
:eek:

Note that this motor is 1.13 inches longer than stock, and will not fit with some exhaust systems.

Thanks Wayne and well 3-1 pipes take care of that little problem.
Oh I posted this on the Rocket 3 Technology site for you as I know how busy you are!

Back