I'm done with tyres!

Battersea

Turbocharged
As some will have previously read on here I have been looking into changing the tyre fitment on my R3C. I have written to Triumph, Avon (Coopertires) and Bridgestone asking about recommendations for the Rocket. After receiving replies from them all, my thoughts were to share the info so that people can make their own decisions based on fact not supposition.

Triumph: Asked them if there was an alternative tyre that could be used. Basically they only recommend the Metz and wont comment on any other make.

Avon: Asked them about Cobra's. They have tested the Cobra's on the Rocket and can recommend their fitment but only in the standard sizes i.e 150/80R17 72V and 240/50r16 84V with respective pressures of F 36 & R 35.

Bridgestone: Asked about the D107 and G852 & Max. Quote from their reply 'We, Bridgestone, do not recommend the use of our tyres on this particular bike, despite the fact we produce tyres in the correct size.'

So there you are, make of it what you wish.

Triumph's reply didn't surprise me.
I doubt too many manufacturers would recomend you to use something the didn't supply.

Avon's tyre pressures seem pretty low for the rear:confused:

Bridgstones response actually scares me. I was concidering using them next time around.

Bridgstones response actually scares me. I was concidering using them next time around.

I have the Bridgestone on the rear and so far feels good.

I understand the issue was torque related, that is the torque produced by the R3 caused the ply in the tyre to delaminate. I am guessing that Bridgestone are being cautious as in 2009 they had to recall the tyre from R3's as they had a couple of failures.

I also noticed that this tyre is recommended for the Suzuki M109 which by many accounts is a reasonable comparison in weight and torque to the R3.

Putting one of these tyres on can't be any worse than fitting a car tyre to the bike, and from most accounts on this site they work fine also?

Let the debate continue :D

Those are all standard company line responses.. Any Bridgestone tire with a G designation, such as G701 or G852, are specific orginal equipment originally designed for a specific motorcycles. The G701 is the standard front tire for the Honda Valkyrie and maybe Goldwing of some years. The G852 is designed for the Suzuki M109. I assume, due to our sue-happy society, Bridgestone is not about to say that a tire designed specifically for the Suzuki M109 will work with any other bike.

Triumph is contracted with Metzeler for the Rocket, so of course they are not going to recommend any other tire.

The Avon Cobras in our size are not standard on any bike, so they can recommend them.

I have recently mounted the Bridgestone Exedra Max on the rear and the Bridgestone G701 on the front. Now, the G701 is "only" rated to 130 MPH, but since I've rarely hit over that speed in 64K+ miles, I have no problem using that tire. So far, I am very happy with them. And they are hugely less expensive than the Metz's or Avons.

I've went through 3 sets of Metzelers, 3 sets of Avons, and now the Bridgestones. I love the Avons, but seeing the price saving on the Bridgestones, I thought I would try a pair.. :) So far, so good.. Although, I've only had them for a couple hundred miles.

I had an OEM Bridgestone Excedra front tire come apart at around 4000 miles. Shortly after that Triumph issued the recall on the tires.

When the Excedra Max was introduced I emailed Bridgestone asking about fitment on the R3T. They explicitly said not to fit the tire to the Rocket and recommended the Metzler instead.

I've had Metzler and Avon Cobras on the R3T. The Metzler lasts longer, the Avon handles better.

I've went through 3 sets of Metzelers, 3 sets of Avons, and now the Bridgestones. I love the Avons, but seeing the price saving on the Bridgestones, I thought I would try a pair.. :) So far, so good.. Although, I've only had them for a couple hundred miles.

The reverse is true here, the Metz and Bridgstones are about the same price, Avon's are the cheapest by approx. £30 a pair, not really enough to be too worried about.

Due to the replies I will now likely go with Metz or Avon and as you have used both extensively, could you give a comparison please - wear rate and grip?

For me the Metzelers lasted between 8500-11000 miles. They were good all around I guess, better than the Avons in the rain, but with each set, I always had a problem with the front tire cupping. I never had that problem with Avons. The Avons lasted between 12000-15000 miles. I really liked the Avons. They are a dual compound type with a hard center and softer sides. They handle awesome and look great with the 'snake skin' side wall. However, with the hard center, the rear spins easily and I noticed them slipping more in the rain, especially when turning at intersections. Still, they are great tires and if these Bridgestones let me down, I will spend the extra buck to go back to them.

I can't speak for the tires for the R3T, those are different sizes and models of tires. Just because some model of Bridgestone tire had issues doesn't mean they all have. The G701 has been out for many years due to being standard equipment on the Honda Valkyrie. Believe me, if I have a problem with this set, I will definitely post it so y'all don't make the same mistake I did!.. lol

When I was using the Metz before they brought out the cobra I was goin through 2 fronts to one rear (I mostly use the front brakes) .The front was gettin about 5k miles and the rear was giving me bout 7-8k mls. Usin Cobras the ratio is bout even, the rear wearin out first, I get about 8K from the rear and 9k from the front.I think the tread pattern on the front metz is to blame for it wearin early. I run the Avons at the standard pressure.:)

Back