I think I got this straight...

Art 28374

.040 Over
I'll be picking up my R3R from the dealership in a few weeks while I ride out living in this fricken hotel in the Arizona desert. Anyway, I can expect the exhaust to be very hot, mostly because of the ridiculous engine size and because the cats are in the mufflers. If I modify the exhaust with TORs, then the cats are gone, which makes it run a little cooler and it also allows the motor to breathe. I can maybe expect a slight performance boost, but mostly a more throaty sound from the exhaust. Changing to TORs will make the motor run a little lean, so I will have to get a tune to fix that up, but it's a pretty easy fix that the dealership can do.

I have a lot to learn about this stuff, but I believe that's pretty much the sum of it. Am I on the right page?? Please let me know if I'm missing anything. Thanks.

Congrat's on the new bike and enjoy just get the dealer to put the TORS tune in untill you decide what you do next to her if anything, sorry I must of missed your introduction so I'll say it here Welcome from Auss you will enjoy this forum and there ain't much we can't help you with between the crew that lives here:)

Sounds right to me too. Only thing to be aware of is that the Triumph TORS tune is still a little on the lean side - as a sop to fuel economy and emissions reduction targets. Bike will run fine though. Becomes more of an issue if you open up the intake with, say, triple filters, and especially if you remove the secondary butterflies. The TORS tune uses the butterflies to increase fuelling ratio at certain points by restricting air flow, not by adding fuel - a bit like a choke - so if you pull them and do nothing else it will be too lean.

You can load all sorts of tunes and start playing with a:f etc but if you're just doing the pipes at this stage you'll be fine with the tune the dealer loads.

Thanks for the welcome, gents. The amount of knowledge and talent in this forum is staggering. It takes a guy like me from having to rely on "the man", to empowering me to do many things on my own, with confidence. You just can't put a price on that. It allows me to make the right decision for my circumstances, every time. Thanks.

CanberraR3 - So that raises another question. I'm buying a '13 roadster. Aren't the secondary butterflies different than previous models. Opened up or maybe removed? Does that affect the tune for the TORs or do I just need a specific tune for a '13 roadster?

The change for '13 is in the timing I think. Earlier models could be 'derestricted' quite simply by adding an ATRE - Automatic Timing Retard Eliminator or by using TuneBoy or TuneECU. I would imagine that the tune the dealer will load would be specific to your model but that the secondaries would still be there and functioning as per 'normal'.

A GIPro with ATRE costs less than $150. It is the most bang for your buck. It opens the secondaries along with advancing the timing.

The secondary butterflies can be removed regardless even if you have ATRE. They are pretty much useless except for restricting power. If you elect to remove them (I do) make sure you don't drop the tiny screws down the throttle bodies.

You're right about the GIPro giving a great bang for your buck but it doesn't open the secondaries I'm afraid. The ATRE tells the ECU the bike is always in 4th (or 5th), which are the unrestricted gears. It doesn't so much advance the timing, it eliminates the retardation that is used to restrict power in the lower gears.

Removing secondaries does make a difference but I'd have to say the most noticeable improvement to me was throttle responsiveness. There are very useful threads on here about that and the process of removal. From experience I'd also strongly suggest that if you're going to remove secondaries go with triple filters at the same time. Trust me, you do not want to be putting the intake plenum back on if you can at all avoid it.

Back