I made it home safely....

The Kiwi

Supercharged
Ride
2006 Classic
From my first ever attempt at towing a trailer with a motorcycle. I bought a camper trailer in early October and after getting the drawbar fitted to the Rocket by Hanso, and then another trip to his place to get the wiring sorted for electrical connection, and then adverse weather whenever I had a day off from work and my part time job delivering the mail, yesterday was the day!!!!

Beautifully fine and HOT!! I had plans to vaccinate my 4 Highland Cattle, but as soon as they saw that we were off to the neighbours place where they stick sharp needles in your neck, they wouldn't play the game and all 4 bolted for the back paddock and flatly refused to cooperate. Not even loaves of bread would entice then near the road, so... I hitched up the Camper and wobbled off up the driveway. 3 Km's from our house and it's on to a dirt road, in the deep end as it were!!! I successfully got to the other end of 4 Km's of fine loose shingle and it was off on the 100Km trip to Goulburn.

An interesting experience, I noticed the trailer wagging the rear of the Rocket a little, I think this was from one wheel hitting a pothole and dragging to one side. Having 3 wheel tracks made it hard to miss the foot long lizard sunning it self on the hot road, but I managed to drive around it to the right with the bike but not far enough to get it with the left-side trailer wheel... I hope. It would be a different story with a 5 foot Tiger or Black snake!!!

I went straight to Trappers Bakery in Goulburn for a Pie and an iced tea, then to visit a friend for a short while, my sweaty gear dried quickly in the hot breeze and then it was homeward bound (Make a good song title???) down the Federal Highway.

I have misplaced the clip-on sunglasses that fit my specs that are now required for driving because I am getting older at an obscene rate. Most of the highway I was on is poured concrete and very glary on unprotected eyes on bright days. 50 Km's and a right turn had me on Macks Reef road which is hilly and winds it's way to Bungendore. 30 Km's more and I'm home again having survived our gravel road again.

A great day out, and a great learning experience as well. I have 3500Km trip to Hervey Bay next April , so I can use training as a good excuse to get out more often over our summer.

Thanks to Hans for all his assistance getting the Rocket set-up for towing.
Stay safe,
Mal the Kiwi.:)

Great to hear it went well, when you come down with it will help you balance your weight to stop the waggin tail, I give you a call:)

Back