I love you son, but..........

My eldest 20yr old daughter started showing an interest in bikes a year ago. We started looking at learners together and at first I thought she should start on a 250cc but after test riding one we both agreed a 500cc was far safer in traffic. She has had her licence for 6 months and is the proud owner of a black 500 Honda. We have been riding together with others on day trips and longer weekend trips. I was a bit concerned for her safety at first but now that I've seen how well she handles the bike I couldn't be happier for her. We are always talking bikes and she is part of the group of tragics that I ride with.

My eldest 20yr old daughter started showing an interest in bikes a year ago. We started looking at learners together and at first I thought she should start on a 250cc but after test riding one we both agreed a 500cc was far safer in traffic. She has had her licence for 6 months and is the proud owner of a black 500 Honda. We have been riding together with others on day trips and longer weekend trips. I was a bit concerned for her safety at first but now that I've seen how well she handles the bike I couldn't be happier for her. We are always talking bikes and she is part of the group of tragics that I ride with.
That is so cool ! :cool: :cool:

I started riding in 1974 when I was 14 and rode till 1992 except for my 4 years in the Air Force. Life got busy and I was not even thinking about another motorcycle until my wife told me in the spring of 2015 I needed to get another bike. I have no clue what made her say that. Got my America in September of 2015. I had spent so much time working to make a good life for my family and employees I forgot about myself.

I never realized how much I get out of riding.

How much it means to get to that state when your body,mind,bike and road are one and the miles just melt away. You carve up the road like a cook carves a turkey.

Sometimes it is slow and methodical and sometimes at a clip where you are working the bike to its limits. Sometimes it is when a turn sharpens quicker than you expected and you push the steering and apply more power to get though it and you hear the pegs scrape the ground. Then you rise and are on your way.

Sometimes when the wind is fighting you or the rain comes or the temperature drops and all you can do is tough it out, but when you get to your destination and free your hands from the grips you smile.

After a long stretch when you have to pull over for gas and you have to sit there for a moment and bring yourself back to reality to lift your leg over the bike, separating yourself from the machine and stand on two feet again.

To not only see the greatness of the countries we live in, but to feel apart of them.

My father passed motorcycling on to me. He and my mother were there the first time I laid a bike down and that nurse scrubbed the pavement out of my body. Road rash heals, freckles grow back, life is meant to be lived. If my children experience the same emotions from two wheels that I have then their lives will be better for it.

Every time they put on a helmet, fire the engine, and hear the transmission engage into first gear I hope they think of me and smile.

Let them ride.

Amen

Last edited:
My 21 year old son Chris is showing an interest in learning to ride. I told him a couple months ago if he got his permit I would teach him to ride and pay for and go with him to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. I have been wanting to take the advanced course and figured a refresher never hurts.

So last night we are sitting in the garage. He says, Dad I am going down this week and get my learners permit. What else do I need to do to ride the America?

I told him with the permit in the state of Indiana you have to wear a helmet and cannot ride passengers. I do not think you are suppose to ride at night.

Then he says,"great then I can start riding the America back and forth to work. She needs to be ridden dad. Since you got the Rocket she just sits there."

This is not entirely true. I did turn over 1200 on the Rocket yesterday, but I have at least half that many miles on the America this year.

I looked him square in the eyes and said:

I love you son. I will teach you on the America, and when I am on the Rocket you can ride with me on the America, but other than that you get your own bike.

Oh and if you get a Harley you are not parking it in the garage.
Stop the hate man! Besides if you want him to work up to the Triumph why not start on a HD?:D

I started riding in 1974 when I was 14 and rode till 1992 except for my 4 years in the Air Force. Life got busy and I was not even thinking about another motorcycle until my wife told me in the spring of 2015 I needed to get another bike. I have no clue what made her say that. Got my America in September of 2015. I had spent so much time working to make a good life for my family and employees I forgot about myself.

I never realized how much I get out of riding.

How much it means to get to that state when your body,mind,bike and road are one and the miles just melt away. You carve up the road like a cook carves a turkey.

Sometimes it is slow and methodical and sometimes at a clip where you are working the bike to its limits. Sometimes it is when a turn sharpens quicker than you expected and you push the steering and apply more power to get though it and you hear the pegs scrape the ground. Then you rise and are on your way.

Sometimes when the wind is fighting you or the rain comes or the temperature drops and all you can do is tough it out, but when you get to your destination and free your hands from the grips you smile.

After a long stretch when you have to pull over for gas and you have to sit there for a moment and bring yourself back to reality to lift your leg over the bike, separating yourself from the machine and stand on two feet again.

To not only see the greatness of the countries we live in, but to feel apart of them.

My father passed motorcycling on to me. He and my mother were there the first time I laid a bike down and that nurse scrubbed the pavement out of my body. Road rash heals, freckles grow back, life is meant to be lived. If my children experience the same emotions from two wheels that I have then their lives will be better for it.

Every time they put on a helmet, fire the engine, and hear the transmission engage into first gear I hope they think of me and smile.

Let them ride.

Amen
Amen to that ! :thumbsup:

My daughter just turned 16 and is wanting to learn to ride also. I grew up in a different time around dirt roads and working on farms. Got my first bike when I was 14. I have always thought I was a better driver in a car, because I had a bike first.

I honestly believe everyone would be a better driver if they had to start out their first year riding a Motorcycle. Not only would it teach them about focus, it would make everyone more likely to notice bikes on the road.

I wish everyone could experience the joy that we get when we ride, even on the same crappy commute to work and back every day I still find moments of pure joy on two wheels. And really in the long run riding is better and could possibly be cheaper than therapy :D

My daughter rides everywhere now, it don't matter if it is 10 miles or 5000 miles, she wants to ride,, i am a proud dad:)
she follows the lead of the big bad harley:D
ride4.png

My daughter rides everywhere now, it don't matter if it is 10 miles or 5000 miles, she wants to ride,, i am a proud dad:)
ride4.png
Beautiful picture of a lovely looking maid !
What the hell happened to the road :eek: ?
Looks like someone was testing the ABS on their rocket ! :laugh:

ride4.png
Proper riding gear to boot. Lupe you have a winner there!!!!!!!!!!
Must be the teacher's Mom is included in that to :D

Back