I love you son, but..........

BillyIndiana

Road rash heals-Freckles grow back-Ride
Ride
2015 R3T
My 21 year old son Chris is showing an interest in learning to ride. I told him a couple months ago if he got his permit I would teach him to ride and pay for and go with him to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. I have been wanting to take the advanced course and figured a refresher never hurts.

So last night we are sitting in the garage. He says, Dad I am going down this week and get my learners permit. What else do I need to do to ride the America?

I told him with the permit in the state of Indiana you have to wear a helmet and cannot ride passengers. I do not think you are suppose to ride at night.

Then he says,"great then I can start riding the America back and forth to work. She needs to be ridden dad. Since you got the Rocket she just sits there."

This is not entirely true. I did turn over 1200 on the Rocket yesterday, but I have at least half that many miles on the America this year.

I looked him square in the eyes and said:

I love you son. I will teach you on the America, and when I am on the Rocket you can ride with me on the America, but other than that you get your own bike.

Oh and if you get a Harley you are not parking it in the garage.

Ha that's gold
My youngest daughter wants to learn how to ride and I am ok with that but the wife is totally against it

My daughter just turned 16 and is wanting to learn to ride also. I grew up in a different time around dirt roads and working on farms. Got my first bike when I was 14. I have always thought I was a better driver in a car, because I had a bike first.

My daughter just turned 16 and is wanting to learn to ride also. I grew up in a different time around dirt roads and working on farms. Got my first bike when I was 14. I have always thought I was a better driver in a car, because I had a bike first.
Same here

I remember back in the early 60's having a son or daughter interested in riding a motorcycle was big N-O...! They were dropping like fly's and most life insurance companies wouldn't touch you if you owned a bike. I remember sneaking my bike out and riding it when my father was at work, there were no riding safety courses and helmets were optional. Today safety is a big factor and bikes are more rider friendly. It's the young dumb and full of fun factor that's scary..!!:ninja:;)

I remember back in the early 60's having a son or daughter interested in riding a motorcycle was big N-O...! They were dropping like fly's and most life insurance companies wouldn't touch you if you owned a bike. I remember sneaking my bike out and riding it when my father was at work, there were no riding safety courses and helmets were optional. Today safety is a big factor and bikes are more rider friendly. It's the young dumb and full of fun factor that's scary..!!:ninja:;)
I can meet the dumb and full of fun criteria ! o_O :)

My 21 year old son Chris is showing an interest in learning to ride. I told him a couple months ago if he got his permit I would teach him to ride and pay for and go with him to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. I have been wanting to take the advanced course and figured a refresher never hurts.

So last night we are sitting in the garage. He says, Dad I am going down this week and get my learners permit. What else do I need to do to ride the America?

I told him with the permit in the state of Indiana you have to wear a helmet and cannot ride passengers. I do not think you are suppose to ride at night.

Then he says,"great then I can start riding the America back and forth to work. She needs to be ridden dad. Since you got the Rocket she just sits there."

This is not entirely true. I did turn over 1200 on the Rocket yesterday, but I have at least half that many miles on the America this year.

I love you son. I will teach you on the America, and when I am on the Rocket you can ride with me on the America, but other than that you get your own bike.

You sound like a really great dad ! :thumbsup:

I have posted elsewhere that we required both our daughters to obtain their license on a motorcycle before we would let them drive a car -- and that is in one of the most congested traffic areas in the US. The way the rules work in Virginia specifically for teenagers, that meant each girl had to ride for nine months, keep a log showing at least 45 hours of riding was with a licensed adult (the rules say the adult can be in a car).

Both girls passed with flying colors - and I am convinced they are better drivers than 98% of their peers as a result, and just more confident in life in general.

Like it ..That is exactly what I would have told my sons

the only reason I am a bit hesitating to let my younger one ride the bike is that I am afraid she will like it forever like me and my father.. and I am afraid as she is extremely competitive personality, in a sick, fanatic way as probably only women can be.. example: she plays trumpet and she only made mistake at the concert ONCE; after the show she locked herself and destroyed the dressing room.. :-D. The older one crashed once, broke tooth and got the lesson so now she only wants to drive cars, so I am fine there :) but with the younger princess I am really afraid to take the risk. My father died in motorcycle accident being hit and killed by a drunk driver, so we have that stigma in the family. But we all know how it is. Once you start riding, there must be a THING to stop you. We agreed with my wife that I will not challenge the daughter, but if she really wants to learn how to ride, we should start now. Small dirt bike and cornfield just behind our house. I would be against it, if she will be willing to start @ later age, say when 20+. If you can make it without bike till 20, you can make it for the rest of your life.

...+ you don´t have to ask parents for permission either :)

Tana R3.jpg

Back