How to make a '20+ Rocket 3 fit a 6'5" (1.95m) tall rider

For the size of the grips that you find too narrow I think this is because you are used to Harley grips which have a larger diameter

I’m 6’5” 270lbs myself and my GTR does the job perfectly!!
GTR cause its a GT with the handlebars of the R, I come from the Suzuki M109(1800)R what also suited me well (foot pegs coulda been a little more forward though) biggest advantage now is with the R handlebars the steering is more direct! I am also used to bigger grips so that was an adjustment but moving the foot pegs to the absolute front and adjusting the gear shifter so while cruising my foot is above it is just perfect

GTR cause its a GT with the handlebars of the R, I come from the Suzuki M109(1800)R what also suited me well (foot pegs coulda been a little more forward though) biggest advantage now is with the R handlebars the steering is more direct! I am also used to bigger grips so that was an adjustment but moving the foot pegs to the absolute front and adjusting the gear shifter so while cruising my foot is above it is just perfect
You and I would be almost the same size...I’d like to see a pic of you on your bike...

While I think a larger bike like a Multistrada V4 would be better for your height (test ride it, its fun!), if I were you size (only 6'1" here), I would get the rocket and pay the money needed to a custom builder to fabricate the aluminum extensions needed to extend maybe a couple inches forward/outward the the forward controls, and to modify the seat area a bit to get another inch or two there... before deciding for the rocket, I was thinking to just get myself a zx14 and modify it for a more comfortable position.
I’ve been thinking exactly the same thing, looking at how the forward controls are mounted making a custom extension that puts the controls out to the sides by 10-12mm and forward by about 50mm should in theory do the trick.

For the size of the grips that you find too narrow I think this is because you are used to Harley grips which have a larger diameter
Yes Harley grips have a nice thickness to them, even my wife’s R18 grips are comfortable compared to the triumph grips. 😔

Did the R handlebar change anything with the leg position? My biggest beef is that my knees and thighs end up significantly above the indentation in the tank which makes for an awkward legs spread sitting position.

How about long distance riding with the R handlebars, is the position still comfortable or do you feel it in your lower back?

I had a severe accident in 2017 with an 18 wheeler that suddenly left a parking spot and one of the injuries was that I ripped off the wings of L3,4 & 5 on the right side so my lower back on the right is no longer attached to my spine and I have no problems with my back, I’m more in an upright position not leaning on my arms.
For your knees to be that high you must have the R foot pegs? On the GT’s you have 3 positions that you can install the pegs and mine are in the most forward, my knees sit in the indentations of the tank

I can't help with your height issue (I am a short 6 ft ;)) But I hated the slim grips. Fitted Grip Puppies and that completely solved that problem. As an added bonus the Grips Puppies are much better for my arthritic hands!

Back