How much can the stock pipes flow?

BigNorm

Boobie Inspector
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Touring
How much can the stock touring pipes flow on the 2014? I actually like the sound of the exhaust. I was wondering if they can handle the triple K&Ns. I'm considering putting a cross pipe in in the future as well

The stock exhaust paired with triple K&Ns or RAMAIR is a net power loss, not gain, but it does make maintenance easier and give a nice throaty intake sound.

As for what it can flow, well, if I recall correctly there is a carpenter 240 kit bike that makes around 195 at the wheel and is wearing a full stock exhaust still.

The stock exhaust paired with triple K&Ns or RAMAIR is a net power loss, not gain, but it does make maintenance easier and give a nice throaty intake sound.
Unless, of course, the correct tune is installed to add extra fuel for the increased air flow. I used to run triple K&N, cat-delete, and stock pipes, and it gave more power than stock - after it was tuned by PowerTripp. That is on an RIII Classic. With the R3T tune by PowerTripp and K&N or RamAir filters you will get a big improvement over stock. A better flowing exaust will give even better results.

Why did they put that god awful box underneath there? It would have made more sense to run tubing.

No, the intake changes without anything else changed on a Roadster, with appropriate tune are a LOSS in power, and I have the dyno time to prove it.

Everywhere under 5k is a LOSS in torque, the higher the RPM the less power is lost. On the bottom around 2k RPM it's a 20ftlb loss. By redline it makes right around the same as stock intake did.

With the power Tripp tune, I put down 126 on a bone stock Roadster, on the same bike, same dyno it did a 127 with triple K&N filters, but that only tells the peak HP story, the torque under 5K was a notable loss, area under the curve was badly changed.

That said, as soon as you put on TORs and the smooth cross over pipe the triples are a net gain in power, and very much worth it.

Edit: it's not an increase in fuel needed at lower RPM after doing the intake, it's a reduction, the length of the stock intake helps flow at lower RPM and the stock tune becomes too rich. At higher RPM a little fuel helps, but not much is needed with stock exhaust.

The box underneath is a hold over from the original cat placement when it was there instead of inside the muffler's.

No, the intake changes without anything else changed on a Roadster, with appropriate tune are a LOSS in power, and I have the dyno time to prove it.

Everywhere under 5k is a LOSS in torque, the higher the RPM the less power is lost. On the bottom around 2k RPM it's a 20ftlb loss. By redline it makes right around the same as stock intake did.

With the power Tripp tune, I put down 126 on a bone stock Roadster, on the same bike, same dyno it did a 127 with triple K&N filters, but that only tells the peak HP story, the torque under 5K was a notable loss, area under the curve was badly changed.

That said, as soon as you put on TORs and the smooth cross over pipe the triples are a net gain in power, and very much worth it.

Edit: it's not an increase in fuel needed at lower RPM after doing the intake, it's a reduction, the length of the stock intake helps flow at lower RPM and the stock tune becomes too rich. At higher RPM a little fuel helps, but not much is needed with stock exhaust.

The box underneath is a hold over from the original cat placement when it was there instead of inside the muffler's.

Thanks for the explanation. Would removing the so called "snorkel" off the air box add anything with a tune ecu tune? Would opening up the secondaries help? I think it would. I just want to get the most bang for my buck per say. There is pleanty of bang there already but if someone put all the cars in all the world in a line one behind the other some idiot on a Rocket would try and pass them. :)

So the restriction of the motor from the factory is three fold. The secondaries, they should opened up to 100 all places in map, the Rev limiter is really low stock, 6500 is a very safe new setting, and the stock exhaust, which is the main restriction to power.

Thinking of it as a pump, if your output hose is a certain size and you don't change it, then change the intake hose you won't see any gains in flow if the stock output hose was already the restriction. That's the case on stock rocket's.

With just TORs , crossover, and K&NS though, you make great power, and it's not that expensive, plus it's still a very liveable tone and volume from the exhaust.

Most of the power gain from the Power Tripp tune comes from the secondaries getting opened and the timing being fixed.

Back