How can I ever trust my r3t?

Tommy Boy

.020 Over
Ride
2015 R3T, 1997 Honda Valkyrie
I bought my 2015 R3T on October 15th. It was a good deal and I wanted a Rocket. Rode it from Wichita KS back to Yukon OK, great ride, no problems. Took a half off of work October 28 and went for a relaxiing ride.

When I returned from that ride I noticed my left turn signals were not working so I took it to the dealer and dropped it off. That was on October 29th. I was eventually told that my bike had the wrong wiring harness.

Even though the model is less than two years out of production I was told there was not one to be found anywhere and that Triumph was going to make one.

Today is January 15th and the dealer still has my bike. They claim it will be ready by the end of the month. I have already bought a good amount custom parts.

So after this long rambling story my question to you is if you were in my position would you be able to trust this bike when the dealer gave back to you 100%? I have been riding Honda Valkyrie that was built in October of 1996. And it has never let me down. It's always gotten the home. Never left me stranded anywhere.

Just looking for some honest opinions.

I always look at the bright side. It could always be worse.

I feel for your situation and disappointment. Nevertheless, I see an opportunity to really get to know and love your bike.

You are right to be concerned. Much will have to come off the bike to do what they say they are doing. If possible, I would drop in on them every once in a while -- that could send a message you care, and might motivate the service folks just a tad more.

Alternatively, this almost sounds like a lemon, and while I suspect the consumer protection in OK is considerably weaker than in say, New York, if one makes enough noise and is persistent enough, perhaps you could insist and succeed in finding another lightly used 2015 R3T.

A factor in your mental calculus should be this wonderful site and all the wonderful captains here. Between your positive attitude (that is a must) and all the knowledge and helpfulness here, a bright future awaits.

And the best way to predict the future, is to create it.

Good luck.

I bought my 2015 R3T on October 15th. It was a good deal and I wanted a Rocket. Rode it from Wichita KS back to Yukon OK, great ride, no problems. Took a half off of work October 28 and went for a relaxiing ride.

When I returned from that ride I noticed my left turn signals were not working so I took it to the dealer and dropped it off. That was on October 29th. I was eventually told that my bike had the wrong wiring harness.

Even though the model is less than two years out of production I was told there was not one to be found anywhere and that Triumph was going to make one.

Today is January 15th and the dealer still has my bike. They claim it will be ready by the end of the month. I have already bought a good amount custom parts.

So after this long rambling story my question to you is if you were in my position would you be able to trust this bike when the dealer gave back to you 100%? I have been riding Honda Valkyrie that was built in October of 1996. And it has never let me down. It's always gotten the home. Never left me stranded anywhere.

Honest can be dangerous. I am also a Valkyrie fan. Having had 3 in my life that I actually put real miles on I would say with out a doubt I would buy one again no matter the miles on it. But the Rocket story is very odd. The wire harness is not the correct harness for this bike? I find that hard to believe. Think about these bikes going to the assembly line. How does something like that happen. Do you feel the dealer is being honest with you?

I have a 2011 R3R that (knock on wood) hasn't given me a single bit of trouble. So as far as trusting the machine I feel strongly you can trust the bike 99%. That 1% is due to it being a man made machine just like anything else. Was this bike used or a 2015 left over? If it is a new bike have you discussed a new bike with the dealer?

Having your bike at the dealer for this amount of time I would have had them buy it back by now. I hope this works out for you because the truth (being honest now) is my 2011 R3R is by far the best bike I have ever owned. Once you get to really ride it and get to know the bike you will be in heaven.

I agree with Paul, go and visit the dealer. I understand a 2 1/2 hr drive just to 'visit', but it does show your interest and concern on the job being done correctly. Getting to know the Techs, and them you, builds a very good relationship. I also have a '15 R3T I bought about the same time. No issue such as that has shown up, I have under 700 miles on it so far and all is good, other than this cold icy crap we call winter weather. Best of luck

WHY not I havnt seen any of those with any problems and Carpenter Racing has modified over a hundred Rockets and has very few problems other than crazy wiring hooked up by the owners that are installing all sorts of gadgets ,lights and thigamigigs and watchamacallits and really dont know what they are doing and shouldtnt be touching the wiring or anything else SO enjoy your new beast .

While that is an odd diagnosis I wouldn't let it be my overriding concern. While I only had a couple of instances where a bike let me down in over 50 years of riding, it was always in the back of my mind. Its a mechanical device and subject to failure. These days a cell phone and a good roadside assistance plan make things much easier to deal with. Carry some tools, duct tape and zip ties and you'll likely be fine. As for electrical issues, well, its British you know....

I can't believe that a WRONG harness was installed. Imagine the problems that would cause Triumph as a company. I would concider that the garage are just plucking at straws or passing the buck. If it was working - then not - it would suggest a break down possible ground. All the best and KEEP the bike you will love it....

I don't see how the wrong harness could have been installed. I also don't see why having the wrong harness would lead to a sudden failure of previously working turn signal lights.

Also, three months would seem to be an absurd amount of time to rustle up a loom. This makes no sense either.

Finally, I wonder if your state has a Lemon Law. If they can't fix a new bike in a reasonable time frame, they should be buying it back or giving you a replacement. In some states your situation would be cause for invocation of this law.

Tommy Boy, it sure sounds like the dealership either is giving you the old song and dance routine or they just do not know either what they are talking about, what to do about your problem or what, exactly, the nature of your problem is. If this was my bike and a dealer fed me similar BS, well, quite simply, it would be Darth Vader Hammer Time for both the dealer and Triumph corporate. I'd pity the fools...

Back