Hola! From Northern Michigan

Thats a good idea. I have an Airhawk pad i might give a try. used to work on the Vmax anyways. if that doesn't work i'll give your fix a wack for the rest of the season.

I bought an Airhawk at Titletown Cycles in Green Bay to get me the rest of the way across country when I rode my 07 Classic Tourer from Florida to Washington. The seat was so bad I was uncomfortable after only about 100 miles each morning, and by the time I was about a hundred mile south of Chicago it was almost unbearable. My friend at Titletown ordered me one and it got me the rest of the way home. I ordered a Corbin and it is still on it.

Welcome from western Washington. UP is another place I always wanted to visit. I almost did one time while visiting a friend who lives north of Green Bay. I wanted to take that Mackinaw Bridge into UP but we only got as far as Marquette before turning around.

On the seat, yes, stock Rocket seats are a crime. You have a few options though, one being to get the upgraded touring seat with the backrest. I believe it is a gel seat but I could be wrong. I have one and it's great. Mustang also makes one for the Touring. I've had three Mustangs on other bikes and love them.

Oh and I am a former XS-650 rider, the bike that was the beginning of the end for Triumph back in the day.

I've heard the upgraded touring seats with the backrests are hard to come by... a back rest is definitely happening though. I love the look of the Mustang seats especially next to the Russells, but I had a Corbin on a previous bike that I was none to impressed by. Might have to look more into them to see the difference between Mustang and Corbin.

The UP is really nice. great variance of scenery and best of all no one is up there. When you do see somebody it isn't an issue passing them. The only down side is that roads can be a mess cuz of the frost heave and plows beating them up over the winter. Crossing the Mackinac Bridge can be trip also. The winds can get whipping pretty good. Back in the 80's a Yugo got blown over the side. Also, most of the bridge is grating so you get that weird wobble on top of carrying a lean cuz of the wind. Its an interesting 5 miles.

Yamaha knows to refine a knockoff. I still have the stock electrical/charging system from 1977 in the ol XS. The only things I had to do was swap out the brushes and reset the voltage regulator. They're fun bikes to ride and super easy to work on. I considered selling it, and tried for a time, but I think i'm gonna end up keeping it. Throw a 750 kit on the top end, put some upgraded carbs on the back end, and have a cheap bike that's great in the twisties.

Welcome, from no too far away (Carol Stream, a Chicago suburb)!
Thanks.
More midwesterners on here than I would've thought.
I used to drive through the Chicago area quite a bit when I was commuting to Appleton, WI. Occasionally I'd have to swing wide and head up the western side of the city. Definitely the nicer side of the Chicago.

Nice! I love Wisconsin. Lived in Oshkosh and Appleton for a while, spent a lot of nights bumming around Milwaukee as well. If it weren't for your brutal winters i'd actually consider moving there.
Small world, when I was discharged from active duty I started work in Oshkosh! Aircraft mechanic by trade (or was until it didnt make sense) worked at Basler converting old DC3s to turbines!

Small world, when I was discharged from active duty I started work in Oshkosh! Aircraft mechanic by trade (or was until it didnt make sense) worked at Basler converting old DC3s to turbines!
Those DC3's were something to watch during their test flights. I used to haul freight in a clapped out C402 on a UPS route. It was making a mess of the ramp parked next to the old Basler FBO.
When and which service were you in?
I was enlisted USMC from 2002-2006 as Crash Fire Rescue.

Back