Welcome to the fold, Captain Mike. So sorry to learn of your rough start with the R3.

Our fellow member, RKTNMYPKT, had the same problem with his "new" 2014 model and Triumph is replacing the defective bike with a new one, as they should. The wankers from corporate should do the same for you, so keep us posted. we're here to support you and your being treated properly by Triumph. That way they will be supported by us , as well. You should not accept any offer to repair, via warranty work, a defective unit, as your purchased a new motorcycle in good faith and unfortunately got stuck with an assembly line/improperly manufactured lemon.

Please refer to this thread on the topic: Oil Leak / Pinhole in block
Hi and cheers for the welcome. I took the bike into the dealer today and the mechanic agreed it is a porous casting. I told them that I'm not really interested in a repair and referred them to the post you mentioned, which I had already found. They have initiated the claim and given me the bike back as it is not leaking enough to cause any damage and is fine to ride in the meantime. I will be fighting for a new bike, a rebuilt one is just that, not new. Cheers for your message and I'll be posting progress reports. Hopefully I have a favorable outcome.

Hi and cheers for the welcome. I took the bike into the dealer today and the mechanic agreed it is a porous casting. I told them that I'm not really interested in a repair and referred them to the post you mentioned, which I had already found. They have initiated the claim and given me the bike back as it is not leaking enough to cause any damage and is fine to ride in the meantime. I will be fighting for a new bike, a rebuilt one is just that, not new. Cheers for your message and I'll be posting progress reports. Hopefully I have a favorable outcome.

You know if they install a NEW head, how is that NOT new? :D

You know if they install a NEW head, how is that NOT new? :D
If they install a new head it's a rebuild. Under our consumer rights laws we are entitled to ask for a replacement vehicle or a refund. I spent years working in bike shops and don't trust any of them as far as workmanship goes. A factory built bike is a new bike, which is what I purchased and what I want. If it wasn't for the fact that I wish to see the warranty out it would never go to a shop, as none of my bikes do.

Welcome Mike S from Idaho USA. I wonder if we have a trend developing with this pinhole in the heads.

They're trying to entice some of the Harley crowd ;)

Welcome Mike from Spring Lake, Michigan USA ! Hope they get you sorted quickly !

If they install a new head it's a rebuild. Under our consumer rights laws we are entitled to ask for a replacement vehicle or a refund. I spent years working in bike shops and don't trust any of them as far as workmanship goes. A factory built bike is a new bike, which is what I purchased and what I want. If it wasn't for the fact that I wish to see the warranty out it would never go to a shop, as none of my bikes do.

Makes sense to me. Thanks for the response.

I too have worked in M/C shops Mike and have run a shop myself. I agree with all that you say

Back