Help Please - Rivco or Tiump OEM Crash Bars/Engine Guards?

Funny you said you got caught on the pegs, happens to me every time I wear loose fit jeans. Once at a stop light in down town Philly, I caught my pant leg and was struggling to keep it off the ground all tangled up, when two guys jumped out of their cars and helped me right it . Talk about embarrassing.

Mighty embarrassing, I think it happened to me 3 times so far, always me left leg...

Thanks people, some GREAT information here, I am now kinda leaning towards the OEM Triumph, I know they upped the diameter, and I presume the chrome will be better, I'll do a little more digging and see what I can come up with - saw a v funny Japanese video where the guy had front and rear crash bars installed (looks like he had every single Triumph accessory installed LOL!), I'll see if I can find it...
Be sure to ask for a discount or see what ebay prices are before calling the dealer ... they seem to be more than willing to make deals/price match now days.

Be sure to ask for a discount or see what ebay prices are before calling the dealer ... they seem to be more than willing to make deals/price match now days.

Yup, I was at my local Triumph dealer a few weeks ago looking at jackets and t-shirts and he said, just make me a reasonable offer for anything, he wanted to shift it all...

Same here, I have had both the before and after bars from Triumph and the latest offering from Triumph is thicker and more sturdy IMHO. I got them for the same reason that Flip said....cheap insurance and I'v slid a Yamaha Venture Royale (my '84 used one) going into a gas station and if it hadn't of been for the engine guards (and trunk guards) it could have been a lot worse than the little embarrassment I ended up with.

I have them also with the adjustable highway pegs and they seem to be a lot better mounted on my new ones than on my old ones.

Good luck,

Dennis

The Rivco Bars mount differently than the Triumph bars (at least the older sets do). The Rivco bars interlock over the top/front of the engine between the top front of the cam cover and the radiator (close) with a welded tab going vertically down and terminating at the top engine mount (that's where the OEM bolt comes out and goes back in and it's really too short to sufficiently allow the OEM shakeproof nut to engaged the correct number of threads). The solution is to employ a longer 8.8 hex capscrew available at McMaster-Carr online. For the price of admission Rivco should (but don't provide a longer fastener). I believe the bolt is about 4 bucks bought individually.

That mount makes the Rivco bars stronger structurally than the OEM bars but either set is really mandatory. If the bike falls over, either set reduces or eliminates the carnage, keeps the bike from falling all the way over (hence tip over bars) and allows you to save a whole lot of embarassment.

You are gonna loose it sooner or later from a slip, forgetting to put the sidestand down, something. Might as well have the protection in place before hand.

The bike basically tips over about 20 degrees and that's it. Like a listing supertanker, salvageable and you can talk about it afterwards.

Thanks all for the info!

That mount makes the Rivco bars stronger structurally than the OEM bars but either set is really mandatory. If the bike falls over, either set reduces or eliminates the carnage, keeps the bike from falling all the way over (hence tip over bars) and allows you to save a whole lot of embarassment.

You are gonna loose it sooner or later from a slip, forgetting to put the sidestand down, something. Might as well have the protection in place before hand.

The bike basically tips over about 20 degrees and that's it. Like a listing supertanker, salvageable and you can talk about it afterwards.

Sidecar or anyone else - how easy is it to mount the OEM bars - I don't have access to a jack for the Rivcos and now I think the OEMs new model is the way to go - is it a simple bolt-on job? Another reason for going OEM as maybe I won't need to pay to have a dealer fit them - I have a basic 1/4 torque wrench and metric sockets...

Cheers!

Anders

When I installed my Triumph "tip-over" bars years ago, no engine supporting needed. I simply pulled the top bolt out part way & stuck a tappered pry bar in the frame/engine hole where the bolt was pulled out. This allowed me to slip the bolt all the way out without having to support the engine from beneath. Simply install the left side bar first, starting the long bolt back in place & remove the pry bar when necessary to push the bolt all the way home. The pry bar helps align the bolt reinstallation by shifting the engine slightly with a little leverage.

See ya.

OEM Bars

I have been following the dialog here for a while. Thx for the input. I purchased the OEM bars. I will give you an update after I get them installed. I also ordered the hwy pegs (short version). Pics to follow.....:cool:

Back