Harley Guys Wave at Me Now

The wave

I thought I would knock the dust off this old post because I am interested in this topic. Things I have noticed:

If I am without helmet I get about 85% of my waves returned from other cruisers (HD included) and approximately 47% of my waves returned from sport bikes.

If I wear my half helmet I get about 73% of my waves returned from other cruisers (HD included) and approximately 39% of my waves returned from sport bikes.

If I wear my full face helmet I get about 62% of my waves returned from other cruisers (HD included) and approximately 33% of my waves returned from sport bikes.

Of course all those percentages are made up but there definitely a difference in the above scenarios.

Does anyone know the origin of the "wave?"

Do you wave below the bars, straight out, above the bars?

Normal wave, peace sign, middle finger...?

How often do you wave? Are you more of a wave initiator or wave returner?

I was out on my rockett Saturday, two harley riders were in front of a house with their bikes, they saw me coming down the street and when I got to them they did wave, just after that I was coming up on a pair of harleys on the highway cruising the slow lane, and when I passed, I looked over to give a wave, but they didn't even turn their head, just jealous I guess. :D Two nice one's and two fargon bastages. The scooter guys and girls never wave to me.

Personally, I've never been a bike snob, although I've ridden Harleys for years (also had Triumphs). That said, I never initiate the wave, but I'll return a wave to anyone that waves at me. Also, I notice around here (Florida panhandle) pretty much everyone waves, no matter what brand or style of bike.

I will say this, however. Almost all of my friends ride Harleys, most all of which are the $20K plus touring bikes. When I had my $8.5K Speedmaster they would get PO'd at bike rallies because anytime we stopped, someone (and often multiple) would stop me to look at my Speedmaster. My buddies had to wait for 10 minutes once at "Thunder Beach" in Panama City because I had 4 guys asking me questions about it. :D

This was in '05.

I try to wave at everybody. Most HD guys wave back at the R3. This was not the case on my old 98 Tiger. A lot of the people on the little scooters won't wave back, but I think it is because they don't know proper bike ettiqute. [Come and get me, spelling ****'s]
I try to hold my hand out with three fingers displayed to counter the V-Twin peace sign style wave.

Thats a great idea with the three fingers, I have always used one finger, (Index finger) denoting #1 but the three is a better plan. lets see how long it take a old fart to change. :rolleyes: (ie. old dog new tricks)

Owning 3 other bikes besides my Rocket, I immediately noticed more HD riders wave when I'm on my Triumph than wave at me while on my VTX or M109R. Funny thing is, a good number wave at me when I'm riding my Goldwing. I've always figured they are less threatened by the 'wing than by my other Japanese bikes. I've always said my VTX 1800 and Suzuki "out Harleys the Harleys"

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C

2007 Suzuki M109R

It may not be my coolest looking bike but my R3 is certainly the most fun to ride.

It doesn't matter to me which bike I'm riding, I wave to everyone on 2 wheels. I've been doing so for 48 years now (I started riding at 12)

In this country we nod rather than wave. I nod at anyone on two wheels, I started on an FS1-E FFS and therefore am not proud. Some Harley guys are a bit snooty, but most nod back, although this may be coz they don't know what I'm on as more of them are less friendly when stationary at gatherings. Most scooter riders don't nod back but I think this may be partly because most bikers don't acknowledge them and partly because most of them are new to two wheels and are busy trying to stay on or haven't got the idea yet. In the late seventies and early eighties there was a lot of animosity between scooter riders (Mods) and bikers (Rockers) left over from the sixties.

Friends and I used to go to seaside towns in the summer just to have a brawl on the seafront with scooter riders, who were more than happy to oblige. Sea air is so invigorating. I have, however, grown up now.

Back