hard bag and exhaust heat?

Jim/Maine

Supercharged
making my own hard bags out of honeycomb carbon fiber which I will be covering in leather. As it is templeted now, they sit within 1 inch of the exhausts. Has anyone had any experience with leather that close to the exhaust? Concern I guess is to scorching the leather. Just made my new seat, very comfy, I'll post some pictures when I get the hardbags done.

A thin piece of sheet metal mounted under the bags on spacers to keep a layer of air between it and the bag should protect it. You should have no trouble fabricating something like that with your ability.

how about using some 18-20 gauge stainless sheet, rolled to a quarter inch bigger than your muffler body. then making a spacer that will hold the stainless away from the muffler body by that 1/4" to allow for cooling air to flow through. that's exactly how heat shields are made and effectively you'd be making a heat shield. you can get large stainless hose clamps from lowes and the worm screw would be hidden behind the heat shield and muffler if you do it right. i'm contemplating doing about the same thing, making my own bags too.

Good ideas for sure. Didn't think about it until I realized how much heat the Roadster exhaust generate, which I think they would also radiate. Back on the project a bit today and next week -- riding weather today!

Ya, see it on the weather radar. Planed to sit today out, please order up some sun for Sunday!

Good ideas for sure. Didn't think about it until I realized how much heat the Roadster exhaust generate, which I think they would also radiate. Back on the project a bit today and next week -- riding weather today!

I have my hardbags sitting just over an inch from the exhaust... the same position when I have Jardines installed.

Had the heat issues making the bottom of the bags really hot. Had a friend recommend DEI Cool tape for the problem and I haven't had a problem since. Make sure that you clean the bottom of the bags really well with alcohol before attending the tape to the bottom.

Works like a champ.
Design Engineering DEI 010408 - DEI Cool Tape - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Back