nolton

Living Legend
Ride
2009 black standard
Group Rides
Each group consist of a ride Captain, Tail Gunner and alternates incase one must be replaced.
Every group must know who the ride Captain and Tail Gunner are. These positions DO NOT CHANGE while traveling. Only at a stop where everyone is informed with visual knowledge of the person taking the position.
All fuel stops should be every 150 miles max.
At every road turn or change the group will stop for a head count. No one leaves any stop without everyone mounted on their bikes, kickstands up, bike running, a hand up signal from each rider.
Photo stops and smoke breaks are important. When person needs a restroom break, all take a restroom break. Were not in a race. Some like to ride fast and some don’t. Slow down if the group gets spread out.
Lunch stops should be prepared ahead of time. The restaurant should have an approximate number of people arriving and at least a 3 hour window of arrival time. It is always best to support a family owned establishment. It is really important to research the restaurants ratings.
The length of the ride determines the type of lunch break. The longer the ride the shorter the break. The larger the group the more restaurants available in the general vicinity.
Any unannounced arrival at a restaurants WILL result in unhappy riders and restaurant employees. "NEVER PISS-OFF THE COOK !!!"
Always check with the restaurant about motorcycle parking and explain that gravel and steep grades are a deterrent for motorcycles.
Those with weather radar on their GPS must keep watch. It is best to ride behind the Captain and signal with a predetermined signal. A last minute rain suit stop means someone is already wet.
At least one person to a group should have a siphon hose, tire patch kit, compressor, ignition bypass kit and fully able to charge their phone.
Considerations should be made for those that can’t do long rides. If someone wishes to go back to base, assist them. There is no need to try to dissuade or understand why.
Ride Captains
Use your feet or hands to point at obstacles in the road. You must use your turn signals in advance. When possible to do so safely, stop and point in the direction where the group is to pull in for a stop. Fuel, photos, breaks and food. Always know where you are and where you are going. No last minute turns. Always consider parking space, surfaces and safety. After fueling, move the group to an out of the way area. Always maintain a head count. This includes passengers. Have a list of phone numbers for every rider in the group. If anyone does not want to share their number, do not push. This list is to be shared only with the Tail Gunner.
Some riders prefer to ride slow so the Captain checks his/her phone at every stop.
When traveling through traffic lights, try to find an open area off of the right side of the road to collect the group.
There will be some parts of the route that are several miles to the next obvious turn. This is the time to let those that want to challenge themselves go out on their own. Plan ahead for these and inform the group at the stop prior to reaching these areas. Those that chose to head out on your own must wait for everyone to catch up.
In the case of fog or heavy rain, maintain a safe speed and once you reach a clear and safe area, wait for the group to catch up. Do a head count.
Tail Gunners
You must assist in doing a head count at every stop. You should have a copy of the group phone numbers and route map.
If someone has a problem and must pull out of the group you stay with them. Move to a safe area and TEXT the Captain. Calling is too distracting while riding. Bluetooth is different but still distracting.
You must know the route and have a fully charged phone. Turn wifi off. You don’t need it while riding. It saves battery life.
When leaving a stop, the Tail Gunner pulls out on the road and stops traffic so that the group may pull out as one unit. You need to have an attitude to do this. Usually a right hand up and a hard stare at an approaching vehicle helps.
Do not attempt to block traffic until you see the ready signal from every rider in the group.
In the case of a rider down the Tail Gunner must assess, notify and maintain presence. First call should be 911 if the rider looks like they need it then the Captain. Again TEXT!!!
If someone is ever left behind, the Tail Gunner FAILED!!!!!!
Its your job to keep the group intact start to finish.
When the Tail Gunner position must be changed, every member of the group must have a visual recognition of the new Tail Gunner.
Riders in the group
All riders must check your bike before every ride. Holding up a group or interfering with a ride because you didn’t check or fuel up is not acceptable.
Check your tires every morning long before the group prepares to mount up.
Charge your phone while you sleep.
Fuel up every evening or early every morning. Top it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stay on schedule for morning roll out.
Be considerate of the group.
If you need, make a list of what you need to carry for the day. Meds, water, snacks, tobacco, camera, batteries, phone, map, GPS, funds, I.D., glasses, rain gear, gloves, jacket, etc.
It always helps to pair up with another rider or two. This helps keep track of everyone and speeds up fuel stops.
You can park 3 bikes to a pump.

Move to an open area away from the pumps once finished.
Slower riders stay to the back of the group. Less passing is safer.
When possible, keep the same position in the ride. This reduces confusion when pulling out from a stop.
Never give the ready signal until you are truly ready. Gear on, passengers on and ready, kick stand up, motor running and fingers ready to pull in the clutch. READY!!!!!
Watch the road not the tail lights of the rider in front of you. Your peripheral vision will see the lights not the curve or obstacles in the road.
If you have a problem and have to stop use your turn signals and pull over in a safe spot. Avoid gravel, inclines and curves. Let the other riders pass safely. The Tail Gunner will stop with you.
Each rider is responsible to look for the rider behind them when the group gets spread out on the road. Try to maintain a distance that allows you to see the rider in front and behind. If the Captain is traveling too fast, let them know, politely.
Volunteers willing to drive a support vehicle with trailer are always encouraged.
Be prepared for drivers trying to cut into the group.
When traveling between traffic lights, never run a light. T- Bone!!!!!!!
The Captain will wait for you in an open area preferably on the right side of the road.
If someone is pulled over by law enforcement, the rest of the group is to pull over at a reasonable distance and wait. No need to make them call for backup.
It is recommended that you let someone know if you are leaving base camp for anything. Making people worry is never cool.

I may have forgotten a few things but this is a start for those new to this.

I might add,
when passing vehicles as a group, move to the far right and maintain speed with the group ahead of you so that the rider behind you will have room to move in.
This is important!!

Last edited:
I hope this is of some assistance to you.

20070126220249-0-5886.jpg

This is good stuff for sure. If we keep the groups down to eight or less, it would be much easier and the lead could keep track of following riders without electronic communications.
I do NOT promote racing; but, I would suggest riders not experienced or comfy with keeping up at 1 sec intervals in staggered formation, please choose to ride in a slower group and toward the rear. Just, my 2 cents.

sorry cant help myself...

not sure how this can apply but I like it...

_54506865_xdsc_9996.jpg

Jim,
If your ass truly looks as good as what you have offered here - I shall indeed be following you, regardless of what hand signal you give me!

Back