Best place to ride in the U.S.?

Ah hah! I didn't even consider the Trophy. Duh. A local friend traded in one of his Harleys for a 2015 and loves it. After seeing the pic I was perusing Craigslist for different sport tourers trying to figure out what it was.

I've never been one to use a GPS on a bike. Years ago the Garmin in my wife's car led us to a riverbank in Oregon to catch a ferry that didn't exist.

Most of my friends who tour use them. Oh and I now recall when I bought my DL1000 years ago, the seller in Oklahoma City graciously lent me his Garmin Nuvo to get from my motel west of OK City to Wichita Falls. . I departed at 0 Dark Thirty, thinking it would get me on the freeway to 44 and 281 south. He had it set up for secondary roads so I found myself in cow country, in the dark, with no moon, multiple back road turns in pitch black, having no idea where I was and with the scent of cow dung with every breath I took. I was waiting to crash into a steer in the road at any minute.

It dumped me out on 44 90 minutes later just north of Ft Sill. And then my gear shift fell off. What a morning, courtesy of Garmin, my ignorance of GPS and a loose bolt.

I probably ought to get with the program though.

Mike,
If you ride alone or lead others, sometimes into and through large cities, a good GPS is a must these days.
I originally went to using one because I like to wander off on interesting looking roads.
The GPS will lead me back to my original route.

Mike,
If you ride alone or lead others, sometimes into and through large cities, a good GPS is a must these days.
I originally went to using one because I like to wander off on interesting looking roads.
Try to stay out of the cities as you know my flip phone has no GPS if I get lost I will just put more gas in after all Im in no hurry got plenty of time

Try to stay out of the cities as you know my flip phone has no GPS if I get lost I will just put more gas in after all Im in no hurry got plenty of time
NM is a fabulous state to ride in. If I had to move out of TN, NM would be my choice.:thumbsup:

Great attitude, it’s obvious you’re enjoying your bike...As it should be!

There is another side to riding that isn’t quite as ideal. I went some years with a bike only. The heat, the cold, the rain and snow, pre-dawn commuting, traffic, idiots drivers etc.. can all wear on you when it isn’t an option. I’m sure I’m not the only one here with that experience. @1olbull Don’t I recall you were a motor officer, you ever have a day you weren’t excited about crawling on the bike?

BUT, that isn’t the conversation here. The question is great places to ride in the US. I can speak with knowledge about the Midwest. Consider the time of year and heat when traveling the Gulf coast, Texas and Southern New Mexico. Biloxi is an overlooked destination and New Orleans at Mardi Gras might be a consideration if you think you want to go to Sturgis.
Central Texas and the hill country is breathtaking in the spring when the bluebonnets and Indian paint brushes are blooming, especially early in the morning when the dew is still on, just pick a twisty secondary road and you will find them. Austin and San Antonio are top shelf destinations and that trip could be tied to the Twisted Sisters ride. There is also Palo Duro Canyon in NW Texas that is the #2 rated motorcycle road in Texas.
Sounds like @breeze is the expert in NM and would encourage listening to him there, but I will offer the Ballon Fiesta in Albuquerque, Taos and Santa Fe as places worth taking the time to see that are going to have good motorcycle roads around them.
The Ozarks in Arkansas and Missouri are great, miles and miles of twisty roads, if you get off the interstates anywhere you’re on them.
The Talimena byway in SE Oklahoma is a prime motorcycle road, try to hit it during the week to avoid traffic. It ends in Mena, Ark., which is not far from Hot Springs, which offers what the name implies and is a popular destination. You can head north on about any road from that area and find nothing but curves, the challenge will be finding one that isn’t twisty if you are trying to make time. The pig trail starts just east of Fayetteville Ark., which has been rated the #2 motorcycle road in the US, it leads north towards Eurika Springs and Branson both good destinations. Make sure and go to the leather shop on the main drag in Eurika, lots of nice stuff cheap there. If you like country music and live shows don’t miss Branson.
Kansas is a good place to contemplate how far the horizon is while you find out how fast your bike will go and how long you can hold it there.
Colorado is killer, big mountains and more twisty roads than can be ridden in a season, most of my favorites there have already been mentioned, top of my list is the Trail Ridge Road in the Rocky Mountain National Forest.

Places I would add are Yellowstone Park, Mount Rushmore, which would both fit with a Sturgis Trip. The Grand Tetons, The Grand Canyon and Highway 1, which I believe is the Pacific Coast Highway, and has already been mentioned, it’s been 50 years since I was there, could’ve changed some since then.
There aint no way in hell you can see this country in a month or less,decide what area you want to see and Im pretty sure a bunch of captains will be there with their opinion.(good luck with that)or to show you around as for N.M. what you want to know toas raton chama santa fe are GREEN @Steel AND A FEW NICE TWISTY ROADS WITHGOOD COUNTRY TO LOOK AT southwest colo. pretty good also me not much computer savy so I dont take pics and post themsaid it before and will again friends are always welcome at my place and will do what I can to help you

Mike,

I know they are very useful Steve but I've ridden throughout the US and Canada and found my way using only maps on a tank bag.

Years ago when I rode my 07 Classic from Florida to Washington, I used paper maps. I chased dirt farm roads in America's heartland, getting lost at times and not sure where I was. I always found my way, which was part of the adventure.

I do know of their utility though and shall always have one in my saddlebag should I get lost. I just like riding a bike instead of taking a bus to look for America.

Back