Grief about owning a British bike?

germ79

The Guy That Asks All The Questions
Ride
2014 R3 Roadster
Friends, I'm in the market for a used RIII and will likely be picking one up tomorrow.

I've owned two bikes, both Kawasakis. I had initially wanted an Indian as I began looking for a bike again (as I like the idea of an American bike) but the Rocket caught my eye and hasn't let go. Not to mention, the Indian REALLY is out of my price range. HD has just never done it for me.

Sitting there last night, started wondering if Triumph riders get grief for not riding an American bike the same way riders of Japanese bikes do. The folks I hang with don't care one bit (and I REALLY don't either) just wondering if Triumphs are viewed the same by those that do care.

Just want to know what to expect!

Those that “care” what you ride will razz you no matter what brand you are on if it is not “their brand”

I’ve never had anyone say anything to me about not being on an American bike. If they would, just ask them to race or how much hp and torque they have, they’ll shut up fast

Back in the day, and even earlier, British bikes have always been accepted by most groups of Americans. When I rode my Norton to Sturgis in 1975 I spent a lot of time hanging out with a 1% organization and was accepted quite well even though I was riding British iron. It was the guys on Japanese and other to a lesser extent the Italian bikes that were derided by the small group I hung out with.

Besides, do we really care what other people think about our ride? I figure if you have the disposable income and really like the way overpriced American iron then go for it, it you want a quality bike at a reasonable price, look elsewhere.

The fact there are still so few Triumphs (relatively speaking) in the US makes you more of a visionary and leader among bikers, rather than being looked down on. ;)

bob

I get only respect when riding with my fellow riders and have never been shunted by others for not riding American bikes. When parked the bike seems to garner the most attention from riders and spectators alike (as most people know nothing about Triumphs). Always get questions of HP, torque, and cubic inch displacement. Seems all cruiser riders are intimidated by the size and presence of the beast! Just sitting on bike next to others, you are sitting taller then all other cruisers. Get one, be prepared to have everyone one gather around the bike, be prepared to be the center of attention and answer hundreds of questions about the bike, and be prepared to wipe the drool off the bike from those wishing they had purchased one!

Friends, I'm in the market for a used RIII and will likely be picking one up tomorrow.

I've owned two bikes, both Kawasakis. I had initially wanted an Indian as I began looking for a bike again (as I like the idea of an American bike) but the Rocket caught my eye and hasn't let go. Not to mention, the Indian REALLY is out of my price range. HD has just never done it for me.

Sitting there last night, started wondering if Triumph riders get grief for not riding an American bike the same way riders of Japanese bikes do. The folks I hang with don't care one bit (and I REALLY don't either) just wondering if Triumphs are viewed the same by those that do care.

Just want to know what to expect!

I think what you'll find is more like, "Wow, I didn't know Triumph still made motorcycles"o_O Seriously!

Once you get to riding it a little though, you will be the "one" with the attitude because it's just an outrageous, ridiculous, motorcycle and in a class all it's own. Nothing even close out there.

I've had plenty of older riders tell me how either them, their dad, uncle, or older brother owned a Bonneville years ago. At some point in the conversation, they will say D@mn that little bike was fast. I definitely don't get the same comments as I'd get with my Japanese cruisers.

I too found my R3T while looking at Indians. (The motorcycles). I had sunk all kinds of money into a Road Glide Ultra and traded in on my Rocket like I didn't even like it. Me personally have more people come and talk to me now that I'm riding the R3 than when I was riding the Harley. It's like folks expected me to be an ******* simply because I was riding HD. I like all motorcycles and wish I could afford to have some more. My perfect bike hasn't been built so I'm doing my best to build it on a Rocket platform. You may get some resentment from your HD riding buddies because the Rocket is so much more powerful. Some of those poor souls bought a bike for $50,000. When you spend that much for a bike it should beat the pants off everything on the road.. But it doesn't.

No matter what you decide to ride make sure that YOU like it. If you decide to buy something else you can still be a member here and enjoy all the shenanigans. I've found that most folks here are motorcycle enthusiasts and can get excited about more than our 3 cylinder 140 cubic inch wonders.

Late 60s into the 70s I rode with guys that had both English and American bikes, as well as HDs. My now friend of +50 years rode a 650 BSA and his brother had a Snort'n Norton...I thought that Norton was cool as he!!. I mentioned to another long time friend who's now 74 years old, that I was looking for a Rocket. He's a long time member of a well known 1% MC and said after I buy the Rocket to bring it by his place so he could check it out, I got no grief from him. Now, if I was interested in buying an Asian bike, I might not tell him about that LOL.

Bottom line I wouldn't worry too much, or at all actually, about what others think. As others have eluded to above, when you're on the slab with your buds, when riding a Rocket 99% chance you will be king ;)

Back