Gonna try this....

Just went out to the bike after finding a manual online in English...wound the adjuster all the way down counting clicks..the right side was 13 clicks to bottom and the left was 15 clicks to bottom..??...set them both to 5 clicks up and will go for a ride now and play with them...going over the same piece of road to make sure...

When I was in the testing phase, I was like, deliberately hitting potholes and bumps so I could adjust and hit the same spots to feel the difference lol. Was so silly.

Well i just got back...did the same stuff as claviger, going over the same bumps and potholes on purpose so i could get a feel..finished up at 3 clicks up from the bottom, checked and set tyre pressures at 40 at the rear and 36 at the front. The bike feels attached to the road and the bumps not so sudden now. Sits down at the arse nicely when the power goes on and feels like its getting good grip. Cornering is very positive and the bike turns in very easy now..just a small lean on the bars and its not washing out on the exit..feels like its on rails...gotta be happy with that.:p
These Wilbers are great shocks and they should be for the price they are. With 22 clicks from soft to extremely hard there are plenty of settings to suit every rider and all types of road from smooth to bumpy like our earthquake ridden roads. Its a real pain when you suddenly hit a pothole which jars you and causes you to adjust your seat...we have plenty of those!
I'm good with these.

Last edited:
Tal gald you are having a play with set up as your right it was sharp when I had that ride last Sunday.

On another note I went to take the rocket to work on Wednesday and the bloody engine light was on must have been that high speed we were doing.

They do have them. Tal that's exactly my setup, using 642 or 640 Wilbers?

Wilbers are on the sporty side regarding spring rates. When delivered my 642s were 8 clicks for all 3 adjusters. I now run them at 4 from open on mains, and 5-low speed 8-high speed. The range of adjustment is considerable.

If they still aren't quite right, you can order one of the next spring rate down, and fit it to one shock. Ponters did it on his legendary bike and found it was an exact fit afterwards for his taste.
As you know I now own Ponters bike but sadly the Wilber’s were not part of the deal when I got it. But I can’t complain tho as I put my 640’s on it from Brutus

Shame Mittzy, he had 642 Nightlines on it.

@Tal Glad to hear you've got it where you like. What I found was before the new Carpenter work, with 190HP the bike would squat, as god intended instead of shaft jacking and actually rising on power. With the new motor work it shaft jacks because of the increased torque, kind of like stock, so I think I need to dial in more rebound to stop it. There is a benefit to shaft jacking though, it acts as an anti-wheelie measure.

I find on really hard corner exits at or near full throttle in 2 or 3, I can feel the bike basically ride and corner on the rear tire very clearly. It's great because as you become accustomed to the new feed back, you'll develop a clear sense of when your at the limit of rear tire grip and instinctively just know when your about to spin up the back. That level of feedback I never had with the stockers or the progressives (on the other hand, I ride much harder now).

A big change, should be that you no longer drag things as readily because they wont wallow like other shocks will, so you're ultimate corner limits should be significantly higher. I'm able to lean my bike further, and more comfortably than I ever did on even the Daytona, a lot of that is experience, but, I was never comfortable all the way on the edge of the tire on the D like I am now on the Rocket.

Thanx Claviger...your attention to my discussion has been very helpful as i have/am experiencing much the same scenario.
I find im a bit tentative in the corners ..not sure if its gonna let go or not as its a somewhat different feeling...the bumps are no longer a big soft wallow but more sudden yet soft/firm feeling...does that make sense?
I found on my last long ride, while the shocks were set hard, i was getting very easy with its cornering ability and trusted it to do what i was expecting....now its a little different again so will spend time adjusting.
I had a ride on Phar2slo's 06 R3 last weekend and his suspension is very soft, quite different but comfy.
I am loving this bike!!

@Tal
What is your sag, front and rear?
Should be 1" to 1¼" at the front shocks and ¾" to 7/8" at the rear shocks.
I would set this first and then "fine tune" to your preference.

Back