Gas smell when hot

RooK

Supercharged
Ride
'06 RIII
Hi all,

I have had this issue for about 5 years now. When the sun shines on the gas tank or when the hot engine warms up the fuel tank I get a strong smell of gas. That happens with full or empty tank. It is a very strong smell. Good thing I'm not a smoker!

I have taken a look at the issue many times. Checked gas lines, no leak, Checked the vent tubes for kinks and it is operating fine, changed the check valve on vent tube and orientation is ok. After all this I pinpointed that the smell came from the gas cap itself (maybe a faulty relieve valve I thought) I changed it to an aftermarket non-locking (forgot the brand) and the problem continues. As pressure built up in the gas tank it seem that the gas fumes are vented thru the gas cap instead of the vent tube.

Has anyone had this issue with aftermarket gas caps? Should I spend the money putting a new OEM assembly? I'm out of ideas...

I also have this issue, but not since new. I had warranty work done to the valve cover (gasket replacement) and have had the smell since. Stock gas cap. I just now lifted the tank and searched all lines and have found nothing. It is usually only once the motor gets good and warm, and dissipates once I shut the bike off.

I am trying to understand...but cannot, how pressure can build up in the gas tank if the vent tube is not obstructed. Simple physics says, "It can''t be"

I am trying to understand...but cannot, how pressure can build up in the gas tank if the vent tube is not obstructed. Simple physics says, "It can''t be"

What's the tube connected to? If it's anything like a radiator cap relief then pressure has to build to lift the plug.

Vent tube comes out under the engine when hot can give off fumes. Depends on the local temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back