Garmin Zumo, Who has one?

Sidecar Flip

Living Legend
20150 Mc Carty Rd. Deerfield, Michigan 49238
I need some input on the Garmin Zumo bike freindly GPS, preferrably the 550 or 550R.

If you have one, do you like it? Ease of use? Accuracy? Stored maps and directions? Ease of mounting on the bike? Finally, price. where did you get it, are you satisified and the cost?

I need some input on the Garmin Zumo bike freindly GPS, preferrably the 550 or 550R.

If you have one, do you like it? Ease of use? Accuracy? Stored maps and directions? Ease of mounting on the bike? Finally, price. where did you get it, are you satisified and the cost?

Flip,
I have the Zumo 550
Answers in order,
1. Yes
2. V. easy, even for a technophobe like me. Even downloading MP3s is a doddle.
3. V. accurate. Updates position rapidly and recalculates route quickly if you miss a turn.
4. UK maps very detailed.
5. Dunno, had mine fitted at my dealers as I'm as mechanically challenged as I am technologically.
6. Motorworld (UK) and I can't remember the price but was equal to the cheapest I could find on the net at the time.
7. Very impressed. I use it bluetoothed to my phone and Scala speakers and mike in my lid.

The ease of use on the move is great. The Zumo mirrors the phone book in your phone so that when you get an incoming call the name will be displayed and you can press answer or ignore on the screen. If you are playing music at the time this will be supressed during a call and return thereafter and if you have the Teamset the pillion can hear the music but not the phone call, I think.

All in all an excellent product.

I did think one of the speakers in my lid was faulty when I installed it but it transpires I'm partially deaf in my right ear!!!!!!

Who knew?

Dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century

You buying a Garmin Zumo...............Ye Gods!!!! You'll be buying a cell phone next!!!!

I have a Garmin Zumo 550 on my R3, mounted to the back of my windshield above the gauges (I can still easily get the ignition key in/out) Let me know when your schedule permits when we can get together and you can check it out.

I got it just before Christmas for $636, I found Amazon to be the cheapest.

ATB

Tony:D

PS The handlebar wiring clamps you sent me last week are the dogs bollocks (F.Y.I. thats a quaint English term for excellent). I wish all vendors were like you

Flip, my price was about the same as Tony's. I second everything that has been said and if you look in my photo album, I have lots of pictures of the way mine is mounted and different screen shots of it in action.
Dennis

Hells Bells Flip just make one of the bloody things you make everything else. :D Make two and I might buy one.;)

I'm electronically challenged. I have trouble even manipulating my website let alone building anything electronic. When I was a kid, I built a Heathkit radio and about electrocuted myself.

You buying a Garmin Zumo...............Ye Gods!!!! You'll be buying a cell phone next!!!!

I have a Garmin Zumo 550 on my R3, mounted to the back of my windshield above the gauges (I can still easily get the ignition key in/out) Let me know when your schedule permits when we can get together and you can check it out.

I got it just before Christmas for $636, I found Amazon to be the cheapest.

ATB

Tony:D

PS The handlebar wiring clamps you sent me last week are the dogs bollocks (F.Y.I. thats a quaint English term for excellent). I wish all vendors were like you

Tony:
I'm glad you like them. We'll be adding more stuff very shortly. I'm a K&N Dealer, dealing direct with K&N Filters so I'll be able to offer R3 specific filters at very very reasonable prices plus I'm working out a distributorship with Blackrock Leather Care to carry their line of leathercare products, which, Amy and I have used for years on the draft harness. The stuff is fantastic. Beats Lexol and Mink Oil and all that crap hands down.

Shortly, I'll start a thread about the new stuff and get it on-site.

I've had a cell phone for quite some time. A Motorola Nextel. Amy has one as well as my farming partner. We use them for communicating in the field.

Flip, my price was about the same as Tony's. I second everything that has been said and if you look in my photo album, I have lots of pictures of the way mine is mounted and different screen shots of it in action.
Dennis

I understand there are 2 Zumo models, the 550 and the 550R. I can't figure out the difference other than price. I've been looking at them for a time. Paper maps are nice but a PITA on the road, in the wind or rain. I've been told that the Zumo will allow you to venture off the beaten path if need be, in other words, 2 lane roads as opposed to Interstates.

Last edited:
I understand there are 2 Zumo models, the 550 and the 550R. I can't figure out the difference other than price. I've been looking at them for a time. Paper maps are nice but a PITA on the road, in the wind or rain. I've been told that the Zumo will allow you to venture off the beaten path if need be, in other words, 2 lane roads as opposed to Interstates.

I believe the -R stands for factory referbished model

Best thing about Zumo is that you can set your full tank milage into it and with about 50km's or so a warning will flash. you'll also be left with a Gas Icon when pushed shows in order of distance away from you all the gas stations. Pick the one you want and it directs you. Used it all the way to Sturgis and back, rain hot-sun and all.

I mounted mine near left signal stock so pillion could view it as well over my shoulder.... back seat drivers ... yikes.... but you gotta take care of them too.

Cheers,

Chrispy.

Last edited:
Thanks RatBoy! I think I'll have to start shopping around for one. Normally I don't ride when it's raining so my non-waterproof GPS is fine, but I have a couple of longer trips planned for this year and I won't have much of a choice but to go, raining or not. Thanks again!

Back