Funky noise, not paint can

Well, I jumped the gun on that one. Replaced the bushing (not grommet) and it's still there.

I'm starting to think it's the UV or something on the torsional damper assembly.

Marcus:

It's an 05 and if my feeble mind is working right, I think the early 05's were still having final drive issues. Good news is that Triumph (as far as I've heard) was standing behind the changeout. Though I've not had nary a problem with mine, without visiting old threads, if I remember correctly, it's a vibration that you can 'feel' in the pegs or the floorboards. I've also read somewhere that in some cases the inboard seal in rear of the bearing on the TDU leaks engine oil into the cavity occupied by the Hookes Universal joint and the output shaft. One thing for sure, if it's that, it has to come apart. You can't extract the TDU from the back.

I've got an 07 R3 classic (stock), 4000mi.
Heard the same noise on mine a few weeks ago. Scared me so I went to the dealer and had the mech ride it. Turns out to be the shaft bearing. Dealer told me that Triumph rep said several on the line in 07 had the bearing installed backward at the factory.

Bottom line for me. Warranty work-Triumph asked dealer to ship bad assembly to UK. 2.5 weeks now waiting for new shaft bearing. And its peak of the riding season...good thing I've got my Scrambler.

What do you R3 marines think of this scenario? I trust my dealer & I've read the shaft bearing posts on both boards, but I'm just not a mechanic, yet.

mk

I've got an 07 R3 classic (stock), 4000mi.
Heard the same noise on mine a few weeks ago. Scared me so I went to the dealer and had the mech ride it. Turns out to be the shaft bearing. Dealer told me that Triumph rep said several on the line in 07 had the bearing installed backward at the factory.

Bottom line for me. Warranty work-Triumph asked dealer to ship bad assembly to UK. 2.5 weeks now waiting for new shaft bearing. And its peak of the riding season...good thing I've got my Scrambler.

What do you R3 marines think of this scenario? I trust my dealer & I've read the shaft bearing posts on both boards, but I'm just not a mechanic, yet.

mk

Do a search for output shaft bearing or TDU dampner. You'll find we have discussed it at great length just like we do everything.

I've gotten cramped fingers from keep them 'crossed' for so long. Seems as though my bike was built after the sprocket modification and never has had any driveline problems.. Other than an ocassional 12 minute tune because the computer gets a brain fart it runs fine and gets good mileage for what it is. (40.55 avg.) I know, I keep hearing that we 'didn't buy these bikes to get mileage' but when the mileage is poorer than my cage, I'd rather drive something with ac, heat and a cushy seat. I myself prefer to get fairly good mileage especially when fuel will be 4 bucks a gallon for regular (and it will be and it won't be that far in the future).:(

Thanks Flip, but s_!@#$%, those reads scared me to death, s_!@#$%.

ms kid

I have an 07 classic. At 4100 miles my tdsu went out. My dealer had to order a new tds unit from England. Triumph was out of stock in Atlanta. The dealer didn't wait to return the old part before he ordered the new one. That's bull****. Also, the bearing that failed on my bike was a piece of ****. No markings of any kind on the bearing that failed. The bearing on the new tdsu is a KOYO. A very good bearing. I now have over 6M miles on my bike and haven't had any more problems. Good luck. Keep us posted on your repair time. My bike took 3 wks to fix and I hear that is rather quick for this kind of major repair.

Markc

Hey Guys:
have something similar going on. my ship is a 2006 R3 classic with 1700 miles. noticed after breakin, that at idle, was getting a steady deep knocking noise. wasnt very loud but was noticable if you had ever heard an automotive engine with a main or rod bearing problem.
can only hear it at idle. at accel, cruise, and decel, you cant hear it.
had my local dealer check it out and was told that seemed to be normal for the beast and was not a problem. they had torn down an engine trying to find the cause and even Triumph had no info on this issue. if its normal then thats okay, I can live with that.
anyone else have this phenomena?
Jeff

Back