Funky noise, not paint can

Send me whatever you think would be the best to try out. I haven't had a chance to try your tune yet. I should have a chance this week if I can snag the wife's laptop.

Knock at start up

I am new to this forum, as I just bought a used Rocket. The bike had 5,000 miles on it when I bought it. I had the overheat light come on , on the comute home. I got moving on the surface streets and binggo it went off. The bottom line new fan. I have noticed a rattle or knock at start up , but it goes away when it is warmed up. What have I gitten myself into? I have a FZ1 that has 50,000 miles on it and the valves are just now starting to rattle, other than that no problems in 4 yrs. Had this bike 1.5 months and 2000 miles and a new fan. Is this a sign?

I did see those. Look good. What kind of silencers are those? They look kind of like the Hammer's from Japan. And those ceramic coated correct?

When I went from stock intake to the under tank K&N I first noticed the intake noise you are describing. When I went with the trip K&Ns and the knocking noise got quite a bit louder. Especially when under a little bit of a load and you open the throttle a bit.

B:

You absolutely sure it's not pre-ignition? I get a little with my bike if it's hot, even on mid grade.

Welcome dwgreen. I get some racket on start up and always have. It is comman for new owners to comment on engine noise. But if it is making the same racket once warm it might be worth checking out.

No, Flip it's not knocking. I think it is just the sound of the intake. I'll try and get a recording of it.

Don't get too close to those intakes.......you might get sucked in......:eek: Asound clip would be nice. I have a little pre-ignition rattle depending on what brand of gas I buy. If I stick with BP there is nothing. Marathon gives me some noise though. I've not tried Hector's Valero. None around here.

No, it's not intake knock. It'll clack a few times, sometimes it will screech, then clack, then clunk and then nothing. Randomly it will come and go but it's always in low RPM (under 3-4k or so) either that or I just don't notice it at higher RPM because I'm too busy with more important things.

I've heard a strange noise in mine that sound kind of like wrenches knocking together or something hitting or rubbing the front disk . . doesnt do it when I'm not moving. Ive narrowed it down to something to do with the radiator . . a whistle or high vibration. I have noticed that when there is a gust of wind I ride through it is there. Just doesnt sound like it should be caused by wind when I hear it.

OK, after seeing someone mention pre-ignition I ran my tank down to nothing and refueled with 87 instead of 89 octane. Low and behold the loud rattle is gone. I hope it is gone tomorrow too and its not just some mind game that my bike is playing with me.
I do get a screech from my bike on a certain corner that I take everyday. I keep trying to locate the source. Not sure if it is tires or drivetrain. My lean angle is moderate and I only hear it on that turn heading into the rotary.
I also have that loud whine from the drivetrain but have decided it is the sound of the gears meshing. I pretend I have a supercharger onboard.
For now I am happy and hopeful that the "paint can rattle" is gone with the octane.

**** Radiator Shroud

One my winter projects on the list this year is to completely disassemble the radiator shroud on my R/3 and put it back together with rubber washers, strips of sound dampening material either rubber or weatherstripping foam, and a half gallon of blue lock tite. I guarantee anyone on this site can go shake the front radiator grill trim or where the sides are joined and you will hear some noise. When you kick in the torque in the lower gears mine rattles like hell. I also have an annoying small exhaust leak in my Jardine headers but I believe three new copper donuts will remedy that. Wait I have to get up some drool, a retired cop just mentioned donuts. (Just trying to beat them to the punch Brian.)

Back