I will not use Avon again. The motorcycle shop that changes tires for me told me that Avon are junk. You get good ones and bad ones. He walked me out to where they depose of old tires and there was Avons out there in new shape. Owners complained of vibration and so had them removed. I was floored after seeing 5 or so new Avons in the dump. I had went ahead and installed a Metz since I was in a hurry and all vibration and not being able to go over 100mph was fixed.

I will not use Avon again. The motorcycle shop that changes tires for me told me that Avon are junk. You get good ones and bad ones. He walked me out to where they depose of old tires and there was Avons out there in new shape. Owners complained of vibration and so had them removed. I was floored after seeing 5 or so new Avons in the dump. I had went ahead and installed a Metz since I was in a hurry and all vibration and not being able to go over 100mph was fixed.
Very interesting, thanks :thumbsup:
I had replaced the Dunlop stock on my previous Indian bike (since not good enough on wet roads) before they were used, by the Metzeler Cruisetec and I felt a clear improvement even on dry roads (the bike was easier to handle with the Cruisetec especially on curvy roads and bad roads and we were many Indian owners to do so)..
Will it happen the same with the R3 2.5 stock Avon tires ?

I've just checked what Metzeler' would suit the R3 2.5 and it looks like it'd be the ME 888 MARATHON ULTRA (looks like there is no Cruisetec for the R3 tires dimensions).
These ME 888 Marathon Ultra were also among the favorite tires for the Indianers before the latest Cruisetec were announced last year.

Last edited:
I don't know... they come with the newer "chrome" tire not the old one. Maybe Avon stepped up their quality control on those.

I usually read that customs bikes owners like also the new Avon Cobra Chrome and it varies according to the location; I often read (for the customs owners) that there are the pro Avon in UK, the pro Metzeler in France and Germany and the pro Michelin in US...

(announced end 2018 :

Who makes correct size rear besides Avon, wonder how bike would handle with Avon chrome in rear , Metzeler 880 in front

The new Avon Chrome is working well on the TFC. I guess every now and then you’ll get a clunker.

I have Avon Cobra as front tyre. After last winter felt vibration at 40-70 km/h. Chaged front brake discs (one of them had been damaged previously by brake disc lock) and chacked front wheel bearings with stereeng bearing - they were OK. Vibration didn't disappear, wheel is balanced.

In my opinion, using Avon Cobra tyres we should keep our bikes with wheels in the air in winter...

Back