Forward controls R3 GT

ArekDeBoss

Turbocharged
Ride
Rocket 3 GT 2022
Has anybody moved from older R3 like for example roadster to R3GT?
There is a lot of opinions of forward controls being " wierd" etc that you need to get used to them.
So my question is: how do they compare to the position on the roadster? Are they much more forward? How does your back responds to that. I'm 6'1 and after a while on the roadster I do suffer a bit. How do you feel after a while on a GT?
Thanks

Has anybody moved from older R3 like for example roadster to R3GT?
There is a lot of opinions of forward controls being " wierd" etc that you need to get used to them.
So my question is: how do they compare to the position on the roadster? Are they much more forward? How does your back responds to that. I'm 6'1 and after a while on the roadster I do suffer a bit. How do you feel after a while on a GT?
Thanks
I owned both a 2014 Roadster (which I had converted to Rocket III Classic footboards and controls because I didn't like the foot position) and now own a R3GT. I have found it to be different and somewhat better on the R3GT. It seems that the foot position is a little further out than with the Roadster (original) and the Roadster (after I modified it). I am 6' tall and the R3GT is very comfortable. The only mods to the R3GT so far (aside from GPS and a phone mount) is an updated exhaust. Unbelievably I find the seat very comfortable and have no issues being on it all day long.

Hope that helps!

Ofcourse it depends on how you set up the shifter itself as there are several positions. In any event, I had the original RIII in 2004 for 16 years and was quite comfortable without back issues (no windscreen, just a fly). I found that the new R3 GT position was such that my lower back was aching so I bought a Russell Day Long seat with a back rest and what a difference the back rest makes !. No back probs. Combined with the cruise control I feel like I could ride forevuhh. :)

The Roadster is set back a bit compared to the original R3. The 2020 GT was too far forward for me (5’9”, 32” inseam) with no back support, which I had on my 2005 RIII and 2007 Classic.

The Roadster is set back a bit compared to the original R3. The 2020 GT was too far forward for me (5’9”, 32” inseam) with no back support, which I had on my 2005 RIII and 2007 Classic.
That's why I had to have mid controls at 5'9" also. A riser may be in my future also. I know the ride is more comfortable on the newer Rockets (to me) but my seated stance on the 2014 Rocket was set up perfect for me. I miss that a little on longer rides.

That's why I had to have mid controls at 5'9" also. A riser may be in my future also. I know the ride is more comfortable on the newer Rockets (to me) but my seated stance on the 2014 Rocket was set up perfect for me. I miss that a little on longer rides.
I miss the BarcaLounger comfort, laid back behind a big screen...

I miss the BarcaLounger comfort, laid back behind a big screen...
A handlebar riser would be nice just to get the arms at shoulder level for better blood flow.

I'm 6' and found after long rides I, my butt hurts on the stock seat. Will be looking to upgrade. I have my controls at the mid-point, but haven't yet tried the other settings. One thing that happens for me is that my knees are not nestled in at the indentations on the tank. They are higher up so the tank pushes my legs out, making it feel a little awkward. At higher speeds my legs catch the wind easier and want to push outward. Not sure what would correct this for me.

I'm 6' and found after long rides I, my butt hurts on the stock seat. Will be looking to upgrade. I have my controls at the mid-point, but haven't yet tried the other settings. One thing that happens for me is that my knees are not nestled in at the indentations on the tank. They are higher up so the tank pushes my legs out, making it feel a little awkward. At higher speeds my legs catch the wind easier and want to push outward. Not sure what would correct this for me.
One thing I noticed immediately is that on my 05 and 04 Rocket I could move around on the seat for comfort. On the 2020 I can't do that. My butts planted on one location and that's it. It is a very comfortable seat but after a while you need to move around. For you , maybe have the mid pegs move down a touch as there are two settings I believe for the higher or lower mid control. I have it on the higher setting as I'm 5'9" and because I enjoy leaning hard on the back roads and it takes a little effort to grind the pegs. I do believe for comfort the lower peg setting would be more to my liking and possibly yours. Cheers.

One thing I noticed immediately is that on my 05 and 04 Rocket I could move around on the seat for comfort. On the 2020 I can't do that. My butts planted on one location and that's it. It is a very comfortable seat but after a while you need to move around. For you , maybe have the mid pegs move down a touch as there are two settings I believe for the higher or lower mid control. I have it on the higher setting as I'm 5'9" and because I enjoy leaning hard on the back roads and it takes a little effort to grind the pegs. I do believe for comfort the lower peg setting would be more to my liking and possibly yours. Cheers.
Thanks! You are right about the seat, nearly impossible to shift around. I didn't realize the pegs on the GT can also move up and down. I thought only forwards or backwards. Good to know!

Back