Forward controls, crash bars, stock pegs...

Hey, fellas! So my R3R came with the FC17 forward controls. I like them ok (they are all I know) but it’s slightly awkward for me to depress the brake due to the mini floorboards and all my weight is on my hind end. I’d like to add crash bars, but I can’t with the FC17 kit. With all of this, I’d like to try out the stock pegs, but I have zero of the stock parts to do so. I think I need rails and some other parts.

I THINK I’d like to do the stock setup with crash bars with highway pegs. I’m attaching a pic of what I have currently.

I’d love to hear some of your thoughts as to what setup you like or perhaps suggests on how I could modify my setup. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

08D207B9-C5A3-4B10-B631-607A257083DB.jpeg
I'm in the same boat. I'd prefer to run the stock pegs with the crash bars. The crash bars are hard to come by new, but I snagged a set at a nearby dealership in Long beach. I added a custom Day Long saddle by Russell Cycle Products. I'm 6'6", so the custom seat is way higher than stock. Really hoping everything works well together so I don't need the FC 17 forward controls kit.

@Ishrub Wow...thanks for the information! DEFINITELY not looking to spend $1000+ on a new setup, so that whittles down the options quite quickly!

Yeesh, I didn't realize I'd have to get different brake parts and gear levers OR that there were even different types of pegs/boards. I think I was hoping for a simple "find a set of used rails and pegs and throw them on" kind of an option. :)

I really would like crash bars though, so that may be the driving force behind all of this. I'm waiting for the day I drop the bike and kick myself for not having the bars on.

I'll search as you suggested and see what I can learn. Thank you SO much!
Hi germ79, It looks like nobody has posted a reply to your desire for CRASH BARS. I was in the same situation as you with my Roadster. I had to remove the Triumph crash bars to fit the forward pegs and was paranoid about dropping the bike.
I custom made a set of crash bars from sections of the Triumph bars and sections of a Harley-Davidson crash bar, welded together. It took some designing, drawing and planning, but definitely worth it. I'll post some pictures this evening.

Hi germ79, It looks like nobody has posted a reply to your desire for CRASH BARS. I was in the same situation as you with my Roadster. I had to remove the Triumph crash bars to fit the forward pegs and was paranoid about dropping the bike.
A friend and I custom made a set of crash bars from sections of the Triumph bars and sections of a Harley-Davidson crash bar, welded together. It took some designing, drawing and planning, but definitely worth it. I'll post some pictures this evening.

Hi again germ79, here are the CRASH BAR pics. The welds have been waterproofed with rattle can automotive silver paint. I haven't worked out whether to powder coat black or silver, or just leave them as is. It is not a show bike, just a daily rider. I unintentionally tested the crash bars when the bike rolled off the side stand with the engine running. It was a slight downhill and the engine tremors were enough to creep it forwards. The crash bars and hard plastic panniers propped the bike up at about 45 degrees and it was easy to pick the bike up. No damage to the crash bar.

IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0124.JPG
IMG_0125.JPG

Back