Fork spring install

I have 12" 440 Heavy Duty Sprung Shocks on the 'hippo' and was under the impression that the 12" Progressive shocks were the same ride height as the stock shocks.Even with these shocks wound right up when i am riding two up , with me at 96kg and my lady who i think is approximately 70kg , I still get the occasional bottoming out which is rather disappointing.Wish i had got 13" shocks now , but at the time was apprehensive about altering the steering geometry, esp since i dont know much about that kind of thing.

Thanks for the pics Cris. I have preds on so nothing where the cat was. I guess I just have to get the cg right.
Hippo I'm 205 and the wife is 135 so we are close in weight. I hope the 12" heavy duty shocks I have don't bottom out. I will be pissed!

So how do you replace the front springs without the special tools? If someone has done this please post the info. I assume Busajack has done it by his post.

Yes still running the set up but even lower now.Yours is 0.5" lowwer at the back than standard.Try raising the forks 6mm and then go on from therein 2mm increments.You will notice you dont have to counter steer as much.Definately makes a differance and if you dont like it just put it back to standard.

Bluemarlin said:
Step I read yours and Sully's post from last year on the fork raising 10mm and I want to try that. Are you guys still running it that way?
Goaler I talked to Atlantic Cycle Service and Colin said he would have it done for $60 if I wait till next week. I think that is pretty cheap so I will let him do it. He is our newest R3 owner in this area. He just bought a used '06. I will put the rears on tomorrow myself and will be ready to ride Saturday am.

Yep still lowered on the front , no real loss of ground clearance , running 12 1/2 inch wilber shocks on the rear

biker1059 said:
So how do you replace the front springs without the special tools? If someone has done this please post the info. I assume Busajack has done it by his post.
----Yes I have done it,shortened spring sleeves by one inch.If you dont have the manual dont even try it. The book has all the info you need and tools that are simple to make.They are very simple forks and the manual walks you right threw it..What Iam trying to say is I d rather not do a step by step due to liabilties and my typing THHE. Ive lowered 20 bikes and suspension geomerity isn't something to learn overnight. Blue why pay 60 bucks to have 6 bolts lossened and tightened. Moving the forks up can be handeled by my Grandaughter,you can only go so far and the diameter changes. If new springs comming? Iam sure instructions come with them.. :wink: :wink: PS you can also lengthin the sleeves for a furmer front end.. :lol:

Thanks for the info. The $60 is for installing the front springs not moving the forks in the triple trees. I'm going to try showing the 6mm like you suggested Step. I have the online manual downloaded on this comp and have read through the spring replacement procedure. The special tools are simply something to help compress the spring while you remove the nut that holds it in place, a tool that recovers the threaded rod from inside the fork, and the oil funnel with the ability to measure the exact oil height in fork. I think this last tool is the one I would like to have. The others could be fabricated easily. The manual can be downloaded for ten bucks!
So Jack what did you mean about shortening the sleeves?
http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/ ... nts-eBooks

Bluemarlin, I downloaded the manual from this site for free. I hope its the correct one but then again I have an older model... :( . By the way I don't have anything under the cat but the bypass pipes--that's why I used the holes in the casting of the frame to lift by. It raises the rear even on a sloped carport. I am interested in the spring change also so take a bunch of pics. Good Luck.

Back