Fork spring install

Bluemarlin

Supercharged
I have been searching a lot of old post about fork springs. It seems like no one ever answers the fork spring install question. I also read some interesting info on the need to raise the forks 6-10 mm in the yokes if you use shorter rear shocks. I am hoping that someone can enlighten me on the fork spring install and how high I should raise the forks if I am installing the progressive 440HD 12" shocks? Do I need to lift the bike and drop the forks completely out? If so has anyone used the bike jack that Sears sells? I'm still running stock tires and I do 50% of my riding two up.
Thanks,
Wayne

use "any" jack to support the weight of the bike on the side stand, and replace 1 spring at a time, remembering to apply locktight on the nuts when re-installed.

what special tool??

ive gone to11.5 shocks and gone for wilbers in the front.i took the fork legs out and took them to dealer to do the install didnt cost much.ive also raised the forks as far as theyll go.with yours id go about 8 to 10 mm.you dont have to remove the forks to do this just loosen the bolts and slip em up.you do loose a bit of ground clearance as yet im not botherd but when the roads warm up a bit i may think differently.

Step I read yours and Sully's post from last year on the fork raising 10mm and I want to try that. Are you guys still running it that way?
Goaler I talked to Atlantic Cycle Service and Colin said he would have it done for $60 if I wait till next week. I think that is pretty cheap so I will let him do it. He is our newest R3 owner in this area. He just bought a used '06. I will put the rears on tomorrow myself and will be ready to ride Saturday am.

Bluemarlin said:
Step I read yours and Sully's post from last year on the fork raising 10mm and I want to try that. Are you guys still running it that way?
Goaler I talked to Atlantic Cycle Service and Colin said he would have it done for $60 if I wait till next week. I think that is pretty cheap so I will let him do it. He is our newest R3 owner in this area. He just bought a used '06. I will put the rears on tomorrow myself and will be ready to ride Saturday am.

Cool. Saturday is suppose to be crap for weather though. We'll see what happens.

Harbor freight jack mod

Don't know if it is clear enough but added brackets to jack pad and with a couple of push pins it locks the bike to the jack using the two cast holes thingies. Lifts everything nicely. Had to resort to this after putting cat bypass on.

Back