Thanks thanks thanks for your responses. :bch:

Crisis averted! Not a false alarm but a clever young chap in the workshop sorted it out. So what happened.

I've had a bit of play in the front end and a faint knocking noise for a while now. Decided to do the forks - seals, oil, Progressive springs. Was told I "may as well" do the bushes at the same time. Problem was they are not available separately and, as dbutton astutely pointed out and Ruzzle confirmed, they only come with the complete assembly. Got a recommendation to go to a source in New Zealand who did kits of oil/dust seals and the bushes, so I bought them. Seemed too good to be true; and it was.

So, the bike's in the workshop this afternoon and the forks are off. Young mechanic had struggled for quite a while to get the first bush out and in the process pretty much destroyed it. Fortunately he thought to check the new ones before attacking any others and noticed they were different. I'm guessing (yet to follow-up) that the kit I got is for an R3T. :(

My problem when I posted was that there didn't seem a quick way to get a bush that would fit and it seemed I might be off the road for quite some time - or up for the expense of replacing the fork tubes. I came very close to taking TC up on his offer; still might have to. And Ponters had us looking for GSXR bushes - but we didn't have any anyway.

With 3 out of 4 bushes intact and probably OK the mechanic set about trying to modify one of the incorrect ones to see if if could be made to fit. Long story short, he did it and is as confident as he can be that it will be OK. Time will tell.

Ruzzell is absolutely correct that the bushes shouldn't need doing and if could have my time over I'd just have got the seals from the stealer and left the bushes alone.

Riding home I must say it does seem worth it. The progressives and the Roadster shocks (courtesy of Ponters) on the back really seem to have the bike much more settled and the wallowing has gone. Hitting a bump that normally jars had the bike do a gentle bounce instead. So far so good! :)

You guys all rock. All your comments were spot on - perhaps not rayjay's and Mittzy's come to think of it, but they did make me smile. ;) Thanks.

CR3 - Really interested in getting your opinion on the 'progressive springs' after you've had a chance to give them a decent workout.

What brand are they and how much effort / cost is required to install them?

P.S GO THE BLUES!

Steve, they're Progressive by name and progressive by nature. That's the brand and they're designed to get progressively stiffer the harder they're working.
Motorcycle Fork Springs :: Motorcycle Lowering :: Progressive Suspension

As long as you don't try to do the bushes as part of the job it seems pretty straight forward. Some guys on here have done it themselves and there's a few threads on the subject, but I got the workshop at Joe's to put them in and overhaul the forks. And now I know they know how to do it.

I'll do an assessment after they've been on a for a while and I've had a chance to give them a proper workout.

apparently our forks are the same as a an earlier GIXER....a fellow in Sydney has rebuilt the front end for somebody using the guts out of the gixer forks with brilliant results.

This warrants investigating .. who do I need to talk to Ponters ?

will send you a pm and put you onto the bloke.

I'll also see if I can do some cross checking of parts tomorrow by comparing dimensions of aftermarket parts (drawback of being a Yamaha dealer).

It must be a culture/communications issue....I do not know what bushes are either!

Back