RoadVenture

.060 Over
I finally got to do a demo ride on the R3T. I had owned an '05 RIII for about a year and found it really didn't fit my riding needs/desires. But after a short ride on the R3T I think I may have found the next bike for me to hunt. The ones that came out of the demo truck had the windshields removed, for some reason, so I didn't get a chance to know if buffeting would be an issue on the stock set-up. Beyond that though, the bike was comfortable, smooth running, quiet and easy to ride.

I found the instrument package was virtually useless, as are any mounted on top of the gas tank, but mounting my Zumo on the handlebars would make the tank mount instruments unneeded anyway.

Overall a very nice bike. I wonder if Triumph has corrected the design flaws present on the standard '05 RIII.

With the stock screen, you will still experience some buffeting. I replaced the stocker with a Clearview 19" screen. Much improved.

What design flaws are you referring to ? Other than the tank mounted instruments ?

The Touring is surprisingly nimble handling-wise compared to the std edition, in spite of the extra fat that it carries, thanks to its revised chassis geometry (or did Triumph only revise it to make room for the hard bags?) and narrower rear rubber, I suppose. But, at the risk of raining on the parade, it desperately begs for the extra 40-some ponies of the std edition. Jamie:cool:

With the stock screen, you will still experience some buffeting. I replaced the stocker with a Clearview 19" screen. Much improved.

What design flaws are you referring to ? Other than the tank mounted instruments ?

I expected as much and I would likely go with a Clearview replacement with lowers. I have bought five Clearview windshields in the past and like their product.

The only design flaw I have a real beef with is the way they connect the shifter shaft inside the transmission housing. It is held together with a hex head cap screw that has no way of locking it in place other than red loctite. If the original assembly line guy "forgets" to apply the loctite, the screw falls out. The resulting fix to replace this $.50 screw is to remove and disassemble the entire engine. A very simple solution would be to mechanically lock the screw in place with a locknut or a cotter pin. I informed Triumph of the problem and how to make the simple design change, but if they are like most manufactutrers they do not accept ot take kindly to suggestions for improvment from us lowly customers. I don't know of anyone who has had an '08 0r '09 RIII engine apart yet to find out if any changes have been made for the better.

I'm 5'10" and experienced buffeting with the stock shield. I ended up buying the Triumph Roadster (just the blade, not full assembly) for $200. It's 7" taller and I'm likely going to end up having it trimmed 2 or 3 inches, but I'll still end up out less money than buying a Clearview; just my .02 worth.

The thing I find worthless on the bike, and it's the same with any Harley I've owned, is the fuel guage. It's not even remotely accurate and Triumph knows it just like Hardly knows theirs isn't accurate. If that's the case, then design one that does work or get rid of it. Again, just my .02 worth.

"The thing I find worthless on the bike, and it's the same with any Harley I've owned, is the fuel guage."

The same issue exisits with the standard RIII. On it, the low fuel light is useless and also the accessory fuel gauge. There IS a fix for it that has been documented here and most dealers know how to fix Triumph's design.

Hey Daryl,
I'm a bit confused. The tallest screen Clearview make for the Touring is the 23". It's $200, and the shorter ones reduce in price accordingly (21" $180, 16" $155). How is buying the Roadster screen at $200 and then cutting it down going to make it cheaper than Clearview ?

In regard to the following post:

The same issue exisits with the standard RIII. On it, the low fuel light is useless and also the accessory fuel gauge. There IS a fix for it that has been documented here and most dealers know how to fix Triumph's design.

Could you direct me on where I can locate the document that prescribes the fix for the fuel gage? Thank you.

C. J. Bartley
2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic Special
AMA Member

cjbartley,
couldn't find the thread, but I can tell you how to do it.
ride till you're almost empty. take the tank off.
Turn the tank upside down and place on a towel, or something like that where it won't get scratched.
take a paint pen and mark where all the lines come in, the angles, ect.
tag your lines by marking them too.
unbolt the 8 or 9 nuts from the bottom of your tank.
Take a wire coat hanger and hook the "float" and pull it up towards the opening.
ease the float out first, then pull the fuel pump out.
Bend the rod on the float about 3/16" and install in reverse order.
Here's where you're gratful you marked how the lines attach,
and which lines go where.
Fill er up and ride the dickens out of it.
if it comes on at 150 miles or thereabouts, its fixed and you now have a 50 mile reserve.

Back