Finally, I'm comfortable

Zonechamp

Supercharged
Ride
2009 Rocket 3 Standard
I installed my new CES exhaust a few weeks ago and noticed the brake reservoir had to be relocated to keep it from melting. Instead of just shimming it out, I reworked my peg rails altogether. I cut them apart and rewelded them so the pegs are about 2" lower to the ground, but are still in the same position horizontally. I should have taken a before picture, but the top of the chrome reservoir cover was the same height as the top of the lower pipe. Now I have clearance and a better foot position. Now to black them out!

20180302_170357.jpg 20180302_170421.jpg 20180302_170404.jpg

Last edited:
I installed my new CES exhaust a few weeks ago and noticed the brake reservoir had to be relocated to keep it from melting. Instead of just shimming it out, reworked my peg rails altogether. I cut them apart and rewelded them so the pegs are close to 2" lower to the ground, but still in the same position horizontally. I should have taken a before picture, but the top of the chrome reservoir cover was the same height as the top of the lower pipe. Now and have clearance and a better foot position. Now to black them out!

Nice workmanship, Amigo, but be prepared to lose those pristine peg feelers . . . & way more if ya hoon the twisties! :eek: :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Nice workmanship, Amigo, but be prepared to lose those pristine peg feelers . . . & way more if ya hoon the twisties! :eek: :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

I measured them before I set my height. My chin spoiler will still hit first, as before. But my size 12 will be allot closer to the pavement for sure.

I measured them before I set my height. My chin spoiler will still hit first, as before. But my size 12 will be allot closer to the pavement for sure.

All I know is I tried 1 inch lower rear shockies once and it was disaster!
They hardly made 100 miles.

Roadster pegs are lower than the pre-roadster ones.

I measured the Roadster rails as well. My rail is about an 1/2" higher now than a factory Roadster, but my pegs are at least 6" further forward. So in theory my pegs should be closer to the ground with the turning angle added in. It doesn't really matter though because I matched my lean angle with the chin spoiler, and that's what hits first. I don't mind grinding the peg feelers away, but that fiberglass could get expensive.

I installed my new CES exhaust a few weeks ago and noticed the brake reservoir had to be relocated to keep it from melting. Instead of just shimming it out, I reworked my peg rails altogether. I cut them apart and rewelded them so the pegs are about 2" lower to the ground, but are still in the same position horizontally. I should have taken a before picture, but the top of the chrome reservoir cover was the same height as the top of the lower pipe. Now I have clearance and a better foot position. Now to black them out!

Your modification has me thinking, that my 6’10 frame with size 15 boots could really benefit from an extra 2 inches at the pegs. Did you cut and remove part of rail or cut and twist without removing rail. Might answer my own question when looking at my bike, would appreciate a bit more detail or a close up picture of your rails.

In your opinion, how much could I move the pegs forward without modifying controls.

Last edited:
So basically I cut the rail into 5 pcs. The 2 engine mounts, the center section and the 2 bent pcs. I did not bend anything in my rebuild, but I did switch 2 pcs from the left to the right and turned them upside down. Other than that I just changed the the angles on the welds. To move the pegs forward and lower them, it would be easier to just bend up a new rail using a piece of rod which was my original intention. The controls are an easy fix as well. On the brake side a new solid line and brake bleed would be required. On the shifter side, a longer shifter rod. Both easy fixes. The only reason I saved my chrome bits is I was surprised how well they lined up in the end. Even if you can't fab or weld, it wouldn't take a competent welder anymore than 3 hours to make the rails from scratch. I used a stainless steel rod so it doesn't rust up right away.

"Very sweet machine big guy" Be Safe!

Back