New Rear Array . . . Finally!

I believe that if you install a white led inte stopping lens, the fact that they are stronger will give you a less than red beam going through the middle. If its red well you have a stronger beam in the middle but at least its all red.

The LED I just installed in the taillight is definitely brighter than the 1157 incandescent. :D
You are indeed correct that it does lighten up the red shade of flux coming through the lens. :thumbsup:

A very informative post, Ken!
I now see that for me, yet more research is necessary.

The wave lengths of the LED graphs you depict both have second relative power peaks very near 555nm.

I wonder if we should not move to the lime green area for rear lights since 555mn is the best seen by human eyes??

I do not place too much weight into Raw lumen values as they are calculated and not real world values.
Lumens and candelas are measurements that reflects light intensity, not its real world effectiveness.
On the other hand, illuminance measurements reflect the actual amount of light that falls onto a surface and are measured in lux and foot-candles.
I feel this is most important regarding human factors applications.
Unlike yourself and Chris (@barbagris ) who make lights and circuits, my personal bias is the human factors perspective of how well/or not these lights pertain to us peeps. :D

The wave lengths of the LED graphs you depict both have second relative power peaks very near 555nm.
I wonder if we should not move to the lime green area for rear lights since 555mn is the best seen by human eyes??
BUT in poor conditions - Red light carries further without suffering diffraction. I have all sorts of Target designating LASERS - red ones are best in ****ty conditions. Well OK IR are better but that requires NV. Green are terrific in good conditions.

Back when I was VERY young and worked in the Nuclear Industry - the site I worked at was plagued by fog. And road accidents where people hit parked vehicles near Nuclear Reactors is, well, a bit concerning. After many many tests with masses of different cars/vans/trucks - the most visible PAINT colour (in fog) turned out to be Orange-ish.

Last edited:
@barbagris
Well then my OEM tail light, washed out from a bright-ass Red LED, will work well if I find myself in some serious fog! :D

Oh yeah, I installed a new front fender and seat as well . . .
Spent two hard elbow grease hours cleaning the darn rear wheel! :thumbsdown:
PITA, but it shines like sun in a mirror!
New-Front-fender-&-seat_2.jpg New-front-fender-&-seat_1.jpg

Steve, do you walk the bike onto the ramp?

Steve, do you walk the bike onto the ramp?

The ramp is long & full width of the trailer.
Very easy to ride the bike up and into the Condor chock. Hook up 5 straps, done deal - takes about 15 minutes.

Oh, the Harbor Freight bike lift.
Either way, but usually I walk it up so the lift don't scoot forward on my slick concrete floor.

Back