Rocket Monster mods finally done

Torque addict

Supercharged
Ride
'05 R3 w/Aerocharger turbo
This summer finally saw the completion of most of the mods I wanted to do on my Rocket. There were many "you've got to be kidding me" battles along the way, almost like the universe was against me in getting it to this point. Most notable was the incredible amount of items shipped to me that were defective right out of the box, some of which took weeks to deal with and the ignition module that Dynojet refused to acknowledge as faulty wasted a complete summer/riding season. I will spare you all the details as nobody would want to read through the entire thing. Instead, this will be a picture thread!

The main inspiration for what I wanted to do with the bike came from CarbonDryJapan's supercharged Rocket Monster. I absolutely fell in love with the look of what they did there, particularly the mean look of the fly screen and the air intake plenum. I was driven by some mysterious force to replicate it. I just couldn't not do it. My bike is turbo'd and this gave a perfect way to show that off a little since the actual turbo location under the bike is so stealth. I also needed room to add a boost limiting valve (thank you to @warp9.9 for the recommendation) and this gave me room to do that. I purchased the plenum from TTS (from their supercharger kit) and modified it to add the blow off and boost limiting valve. I had to make custom brackets for the fly screen, triple gauge set, GPS, OBDII gauge and turn signals as well. Lot's of work but extremely rewarding in the end. I'm really happy with how everything turned out.

1002171625_resized (3).jpg

1002171625a.jpg

0828171952.jpg

0916171627 (2).jpg

0916171629.jpg

0902171451b.jpg

0902171521.jpg

0905171907.jpg

0913171946.jpg

1014171650.jpg

37-Fly screen transition pieces & GPS bracket.jpg

Wideband AFR sensor on turbo outlet
39a-Wideband AFR sensor_preview.jpeg

40-Ignition module .jpg

This is a manual boost controller and bypass solenoid. When bypassed the boost is 5 PSI per the spring in the variable vane turbo controller. When engaged the boost controller reduces the signal going to the turbo controller and regulates the turbo to 10 PSI. The solenoid is actually wired to the horn switch through a time delay relay. A momentary blip of the horn switch does not sound the horn at all but instead switches between low and high boost setting. Hitting the horn switch for more than 1/3 of a second will sound the horn. The purple light just above the OBDII gauge (in pictures above) lights for high boost setting.
41-Manual boost controller & high-low solenoid.jpg

A weekend of wiring....
42-Wiring all the new electrical.jpg

43-Schematic for added electrical equipment.jpg

The new CarbonDryJapan pieces prior to painting (my son being "cool" on dad's beast)
30-New unpainted body pieces.JPG

After paint... also the old intake plenum which could fit under the bear claw but I usually had it off
31-New pieces painted.jpg

Last edited:
That's a sleeper if ever I saw one ! Dash looks like it's outta the enterprise ! Nice job , do you have any figures yet ?

That's a sleeper if ever I saw one ! Dash looks like it's outta the enterprise ! Nice job , do you have any figures yet ?
Rocket dyno.jpg

This was before I bought it and before engine rebuild. My dyno guy measured at 208 HP and 218 TQ after rebuild if I recall correctly. Didn't get a print out for it. I need to get it back on the dyno again to fine tune for the new intake plenum and exhaust I just put on it. The low end torque on this thing is just insane and what makes for a really fun ride.

NOTE: This is a video link, not just a picture! Click on it!

0916171224.jpg

0916171233.jpg

1014171639a.jpg

Last edited:
WOW !!! You are a genius. All that power even with the stock header. You are REALLY a genius.

Thanks. The stock header is helping with the TQ numbers for sure. If I wanted more HP I'd put some headers on it but probably sacrifice some of that low end TQ. Don't think either set of numbers would change too much with headers though. The turbo is pretty much what is limiting and defining the airflow here.

Thanks for the other nice compliments so far guys.

Back