Finally got the 64 dollar trunk mounted.

A while back I ordered a trunk from Amazon (TMS® TBOX-JK1001-K Motorcycle Luggage Tour Trunk Tail Box with Top Rack Backrest)and it sat on the shelf for a year or so. Now that I am going to have a passenger (SWMBO) for a few rides I figured I had better get it mounted. The box itself is kind of flimsy, after our ride later this month I may glass the corners to stiffen it up. The hinges are just a metal pin inserted through plastic holes that just happen to line up. There was plenty of hardware included to get it mounted nice and secure.

I was lucky enough to find another Touring quick release sissy bar/back rest so I took it apart and used it for the base. Now I can switch from trunk to backrest whenever the urge strikes. I left the top rack off, I figure the first time the humidity goes above 45% it will rust plus the welds looked like they were done by a drunken 5 year old who had never welded before.

After laying out all of the pieces and formulating a plan it went fairly well. Of course the instructions left a lot to be desired, no, they left everything to be desired. But it still got mounted and looks OK for what it is.

I got it on sale and I think I paid 50 dollars for it back when. I will see how it holds up, for light item it should be OK.

20160703_225943[1].jpg 20160703_230006[1].jpg 20160703_230034[1].jpg

I also got the bracket for jacking up with a ATV type jack mounted today. It took a tiny bit of fitting (13 R3T) but all in all it was pretty simple. It also took a tiny bit of fitting at the top to keep it from hitting the frame.
l 20160703_120121[1].jpg

:)

bob

I notice a little bit of an issue as well with the jacking up bracket. I was able to get enough upward pressure to get the the bolts on to mount it. It probably would have been best for me to do the same as you, but I didn't want to disturb the nice powder coat. I thought about sending an email to the guy about it, but never got around to it. It is a nice well done product in spite of the small fitment issue.

I notice a little bit of an issue as well with the jacking up bracket. I was able to get enough upward pressure to get the the bolts on to mount it. It probably would have been best for me to do the same as you, but I didn't want to disturb the nice powder coat. I thought about sending an email to the guy about it, but never got around to it. It is a nice well done product in spite of the small fitment issue.

I think he took my input and the input of a couple of other people and modified the product so it should fit them all now without any fitment issues. Besides, it gave me an excuse to buy an angle grinder without any complaints from SWMBO. :)

bob

The cheapest HD trunk I could find was about 200 bucks and beat to crap...so I did the 60 dollar trunk figuring I would replace as needed. ;)

bob

There are HD lookalike trunks in the 200 dollar range too...with some creative mounting they might be worthwhile, main issue being size and gloss black color which would come close to matching my bike's jet black.

I am not overly happy with the mounting. It seems to be very sturdy but I just feel it should have more support. When we get back from out trip I will look at some other way to mount it. For now we will keep the load very light. with heavier stuff toward the front. I had a piece of aluminum lying around so I cut a base plate to put between the rack and the trunk for a little more support. When we get back I will probably cut another piece of aluminum and extend the base plate further to the back of the trunk.

Trunk below 1.jpg Trunk below 2.jpg Trunk inside.jpg Fondleboobs.jpg
Where did you get the brackets that you used underneath? Are they chrome? I have some good quality sign material I plan on using under the box itself but looking for best way to clamp it on to the sissy bar. Also did you come up with a good way to cover the holes left when you remove the stock backrest?

The clamps, aka pieces of cheap metal came with the trunk I bought. They are bendable but still pretty sturdy and just happen to be the right size to bolt it down. So far (2 years) it has worked like a champ.

As far as filling the holes I was going to use a wooden dowel but the backrest/luggage rack I bought had been disassembled to the point I was able to use the existing metal in the holes.

Here is the breakdown of the luggage rack/backrest;

Here are the pieces that were there when I got around to doing the installation. The last pic is of my other rack/backrest. I can't tell you how or why but I can tell you I din't have to buy anything to put in the holes when I put it all back together. Now that I think about it you do need the pieces that go down into the rack, that is where the bolts that secure the rack get threaded.

20170410_184842[1].jpg 20170410_184819[1].jpg 20170410_184958[1].jpg

bob

Back