Finally got the 64 dollar trunk mounted.

Bob R

Living Legend
Ride
2013 R3T
A while back I ordered a trunk from Amazon (TMS® TBOX-JK1001-K Motorcycle Luggage Tour Trunk Tail Box with Top Rack Backrest)and it sat on the shelf for a year or so. Now that I am going to have a passenger (SWMBO) for a few rides I figured I had better get it mounted. The box itself is kind of flimsy, after our ride later this month I may glass the corners to stiffen it up. The hinges are just a metal pin inserted through plastic holes that just happen to line up. There was plenty of hardware included to get it mounted nice and secure.

I was lucky enough to find another Touring quick release sissy bar/back rest so I took it apart and used it for the base. Now I can switch from trunk to backrest whenever the urge strikes. I left the top rack off, I figure the first time the humidity goes above 45% it will rust plus the welds looked like they were done by a drunken 5 year old who had never welded before.

After laying out all of the pieces and formulating a plan it went fairly well. Of course the instructions left a lot to be desired, no, they left everything to be desired. But it still got mounted and looks OK for what it is.

I got it on sale and I think I paid 50 dollars for it back when. I will see how it holds up, for light item it should be OK.

20160703_225943[1].jpg 20160703_230006[1].jpg 20160703_230034[1].jpg

I also got the bracket for jacking up with a ATV type jack mounted today. It took a tiny bit of fitting (13 R3T) but all in all it was pretty simple. It also took a tiny bit of fitting at the top to keep it from hitting the frame.
l 20160703_120121[1].jpg

:)

bob

Very nice. That's the sort of thing I hope to do.
Would it be possible to get a shot from underneath to show the trunk/rack interface?
Thanks.

I am not overly happy with the mounting. It seems to be very sturdy but I just feel it should have more support. When we get back from out trip I will look at some other way to mount it. For now we will keep the load very light. with heavier stuff toward the front. I had a piece of aluminum lying around so I cut a base plate to put between the rack and the trunk for a little more support. When we get back I will probably cut another piece of aluminum and extend the base plate further to the back of the trunk.

Trunk below 1.jpg Trunk below 2.jpg Trunk inside.jpg Fondleboobs.jpg

It has a little flimsy pad that goes in the bottom. Nothing very fancy though. I may lay a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet in it. It is still a work in progress. I imagine by the time I am done the 64 dollar box with have cost 2x that. Still a bargain in the world of trunks. ;)

bob

I think I am going to get myself one of them, just to see what I can do with it. Although I do like my Tail bags, for I can pull them off and take them into the hotel with me. I guess if a trunk is roomy enough you can throw a loaded backpack in though. Lord knows my saddlebags are stuffed to the gills with my everyday stuff. Rain gear, tools...blah blah blah.

I just saw the trunk on ebay for 55 bucks or so if you don't like dealing with Amazon. The biggest selling point for me was finding a spare rack so I can swap it out without any trouble when I am not using it. Without that I probably wouldn't have bothered.

bob

I just saw the trunk on ebay for 55 bucks or so if you don't like dealing with Amazon. The biggest selling point for me was finding a spare rack so I can swap it out without any trouble when I am not using it. Without that I probably wouldn't have bothered.

bob

Well, price is everything....but Amazon gets more of my money that I can mention!

Update;

I had a friend at work give me a chunk of aluminum 3/16" thick. He used to work for a company making aluminum boats and this was hull material. Anyhow, I cut a larger piece and remounted the trunk. The difference in in stiffness of the trunk and how secure it feels is quite a bit better. I ended up bolting the aluminum to the trunk and then bolting it all to the rack. I used the other piece of aluminum to give a little more real estate to the interior mounting points.

20160710_092046[1].jpg 20160710_091842_001[1].jpg

bob

Back