20180224_120613.jpg
20180224_120432.jpg
20180224_113844.jpg
20180224_120613.jpg
20180224_120432.jpg
20180224_113844.jpg
Hi. Panic over. Large magnet must have shifted the little magnet on to the cog, held small silver magnet in filler hole turned wheel and click there it was, when i checked drain hole again i realised other half of bolt still in there so just used a easy out, must have pushed magnet through originally when i first did it, on these pictures you can see how thin the threaded part of the bolt is no wonder it snaps. Thank you to everybody for your input it helped

Well done. It's a scary thought this happening. When I first changed my drive oil I went to a Triumph dealer to get s new drain bolt just in case it snapped off. They told me they never sell them and there is no problems with them. Once again this site confirms there is!

Yes sir that bolt is a wee bugar that is why you need a torque wrench:D if I remember correctly it is only about 9 or 10ib ft not much and any tighter and it breaks off, any way to get the bike over on its side and play around with it?

15 Nm torque and use of calibrated torque wrench required in my opinion. Changing out this oil is one of the few things I do myself and do not allow a mechanic to do. Found out the hard way when one sheared off the head but just left it in there and didn't bother to mention it. I didn't notice until a few hundred miles later... but never forgot it. Fortunately the whole thing was still in the threads and I was able to get it out with relative ease. Got 2 replacement bolts, keeping one as a spare, and still have it, as I've never hard an issue since and that's been many years now.
Had to go back in the records because I was recalling that my drive unit had been split by the dealer due to a recall but no, it wasn't split. Feb 2005 Triumph required the whole unit be replaced due to the supplier identifying a possible defect due to potential damage to oil seal.
So I guess that's why they don't sell just the seal.

Definitely a candidate for a titanium replacement :p

If someone can give the thread and length, you can order a non-swiss cheese replacement from probolt. The parts manual does not indicate what size the bolt actually is. It looks like an M10, but I'm not sure on that.

Strange thing about the recall on the early models. My 2005 that I bought a year or so ago, came with all the records/papers, receipts, and included a receipt from a dealer, that changed the final drive, as per recall notice. Now my 2013 had the final drive replaced twice under warranty, for seeping oil out the square opening under the unit.

Do I feel a group buy for these bolts ? I definitely am interested in placing an order, and don't mind ordering a bunch for folks here.

Might one of our engineering-qualified folks provide the specification @warp9.9 , and @Claviger provide the link to ProBolt ???

15 Nm torque and use of calibrated torque wrench required in my opinion. Changing out this oil is one of the few things I do myself and do not allow a mechanic to do. Found out the hard way when one sheared off the head but just left it in there and didn't bother to mention it. I didn't notice until a few hundred miles later... but never forgot it. Fortunately the whole thing was still in the threads and I was able to get it out with relative ease. Got 2 replacement bolts, keeping one as a spare, and still have it, as I've never hard an issue since and that's been many years now.
Had to go back in the records because I was recalling that my drive unit had been split by the dealer due to a recall but no, it wasn't split. Feb 2005 Triumph required the whole unit be replaced due to the supplier identifying a possible defect due to potential damage to oil seal.
So I guess that's why they don't sell just the seal.
States in the workshop Manual that it should not be split

i have worked on this and i have a few replacements.
the thread is size M10x1.5 metric. the bolt i have is 7/8 inch long
u have to use something like an Allen head because the bolt head will not fit wright.
now u might use an 1 inch bolt u would have to measure so it does not touch the ring gear.
the bolts i have have Allen head and come out of chev torque converters they make several diff kinds and i only get these out of trucks i replace them with new factory bolts with hex heads.
now the problem with these is that if some one over torques these it will strip the final drive threads.:(:( gone until monday:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back