Hi has anyone ever split a final drive unit
Hi, I have had the same problem as a few others with the drain plug,piece has ended up inside used a piece of magnet to try and get it out lost that as well lol. got the magnet out by turning wheel slowly it was on the cog but no sine of the bolt, can get a wand magnet in and can actually see wand through drain hole but no luck, the wheel is running freely so the bolt is ? any advice would be appreciated,

Bummer for sure! If/when you do tear into it, be sure to take some pics for the rest of us to see.;)

Hi, I have had the same problem as a few others with the drain plug,piece has ended up inside used a piece of magnet to try and get it out lost that as well lol. got the magnet out by turning wheel slowly it was on the cog but no sine of the bolt, can get a wand magnet in and can actually see wand through drain hole but no luck, the wheel is running freely so the bolt is ? any advice would be appreciated,

Hi. Is it the drain plug or the level plug and has it just sheared off to drop inside?

20180219_163621.jpg
Hi Drain plug and bit dropped inside. been using this wand magnet

Last edited:
I once split my final drive unit for the same reason. The bolt broke off and fell inside. I bought the bike new in 2005; second oil change broke the bolt off. After much screwing around decided only way was to split the unit. I didn't know you were not supposed to do that ( ignorance is bliss). Any how was pretty easy actually, but on reflection I think I was very lucky. I took the unit off the bike and laid it on the bench, I undid all the bolts I thought was holding it together. Then very carefully I pried the two parts apart using two thin paint scrapers a very little at a time, one side then the other. If you decide to try this, be very careful because the two halves have a rubber ring as an oil seal between both halves. I got lucky by not damaging the ring. Before attempting this, mark the halves so you can put them back exactly the way they came apart. I still have the bike and have had no issues since in over 40,000 miles. Sorry I did not take pics. Good luck if you try this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back