Failed motorcycle road test today

You don't need a girl's bike like the Honda Rebel.
You are a man, and men ride bikes made for men. All you need is practice. Take your time and practice keeping the front tire inside the circle, and trust me, you will pass the test.
Good thing you felt embarrassed today. Use that to motivate yourself. You should take the test on your bike though!

That's frankly just a stupid thing to say. Anyone who needs a Rocket to prove they're manly shouldn't be riding one.
The license test is necessarily difficult and it's to demonstrate you have a basic understanding of controlling a bike and getting a piece of paper to make you a legal rider on the road. It has nothing to do with how manly you feel.

The key to riding a Rocket is practice, not some imagined big dick. Honda Rebel is a perfect bike for the test. Do whatever you have to and don't be goaded into making it harder on yourself.

I took a motorcycle road test today and failed it. First time ever taking the test. I have been riding on a permit since I have been riding motorcycles. I took it on the Roadster and just could not keep it off the line on the sharp turn part of the test. Turning right or left. One time I had to put my foot down to keep from turning my bike over. Going at a such slow speed and trying to stay in the box is just about impossible for me. The police officer said next time I need to bring a smaller bike in order to pass the test. I feel embarrassed, lacking in motorcycle ability, and just a flat failure. I have rode sport bikes in mountainous sharp curves at high speeds and even my Roadster at fast speeds in the mountains. But I have never had trouble with maneuvering a motorcycle like I did today. I told the instructor that I have put a bunch of miles on the road on a motorcycle and never once been required to do the things I was required to do today. I was going to renew my permit a couple months ago but my state wouldn't let me because it is must that I try to take the road test first. With me failing the road test they renewed my permit for another year. I should have went to the DMV and practiced while it was closed. Atleast I would have know that this beast of a bike would have been a problem on the course. Anyone take the test on a Rocket and pass? I assume the test box is the same size in every state. I felt like I was riding around in my living room it was so small. I wonder if the big fat tire on the back was killing me?
Dont feel bad I failed the first time on the rocket The next time I just went for it On the weave between the cones part I went ahead and hit one vs missing it minor point deduction and the rest went well now this was in De. but Im sure its pretty much the same everywhere just dont put your foot down or fall over and you should pass.

I just sold my VTX 1300 to an older rider like myself..he hadn't ridden in about 20 years..he wanted to take the VTX to take the test..I told him to go take basic riders course again first with the 250 Rebels..he did..

Just curious here - What is your required U-Turn width?
Here in WA it is 20 foot for motors of 600cc or less and 24 foot for motors over 600cc.

Just curious here - What is your required U-Turn width?
Here in WA it is 20 foot for motors of 600cc or less and 24 foot for motors over 600cc.

The box I had to test in was definitely 20ft. I didn't measure it but I was in construction for awhile and can estimate size just by looking and it isn't 24ft.

Its a bit rough not taking into account the size or type of bike. My 1st test had to be done on a 250cc honda. The assessor told me to do a turn with the bars on full lock but no go ,because my knees were hitting the bars.So he said do the best you can and I passed.
My second test had to be done on a larger bike ,I was going to take my yamha 600cc but it wasnt going so I took the R3.
No problems,the assessor took me to a road with extra width and asked me to do 6 U turns without putting my feet down . Passed with 97%. Lost 3% because the mechanic had adjusted my speedo without telling me and I went through the half hour test doing 4klms over the max.
Assessor told me it was standard practice to adjust the test to suit the bike. He said they are not after stunt riders ,just competent ones that can handle their bike.

Sorry for the above being a Yardley. But still amazes me. I hope to be that confident on the beast some day

Back