Failed motorcycle road test today

mully95

Living Legend
Ride
Roadster
I took a motorcycle road test today and failed it. First time ever taking the test. I have been riding on a permit since I have been riding motorcycles. I took it on the Roadster and just could not keep it off the line on the sharp turn part of the test. Turning right or left. One time I had to put my foot down to keep from turning my bike over. Going at a such slow speed and trying to stay in the box is just about impossible for me. The police officer said next time I need to bring a smaller bike in order to pass the test. I feel embarrassed, lacking in motorcycle ability, and just a flat failure. I have rode sport bikes in mountainous sharp curves at high speeds and even my Roadster at fast speeds in the mountains. But I have never had trouble with maneuvering a motorcycle like I did today. I told the instructor that I have put a bunch of miles on the road on a motorcycle and never once been required to do the things I was required to do today. I was going to renew my permit a couple months ago but my state wouldn't let me because it is must that I try to take the road test first. With me failing the road test they renewed my permit for another year. I should have went to the DMV and practiced while it was closed. Atleast I would have know that this beast of a bike would have been a problem on the course. Anyone take the test on a Rocket and pass? I assume the test box is the same size in every state. I felt like I was riding around in my living room it was so small. I wonder if the big fat tire on the back was killing me?

As I am an MSF instructor I use my Rocket for a lot of the courses that I teach now can you do the box (20') on the Rocket the answer is yes but it takes some practice.
I take it that SC does not use the Basic Rider Course (most states do) to get your license? now nearly All Harleys will laugh at the rocket doing slow tight turns in fact they would probably fall over laughing one thing about HDs they are good handling bikes.

You might check out some of the Ride Like a Pro videos. Very instructive on slow riding and maneuvering. The secret seems to be using the rear brake, a small bit of throttle and slipping the clutch. Also keeping your eyes up and focusing on where you want to go and not focused down in front of the bike. I've tried his methods and its quite surprising what you can do on a very large bike.

One more thing Mully the cop told you to bring a smaller bike --do it everyone and I mean everyone who takes the BRC does not use a bike that they own they use the ones offered for the course which are, Suzuki GZ250, Honda Rebel 250 etc etc makes the course a wee bit easier.

Wished I knew someone with a Honda Rebel..... I would have borrowed it in a skinny minute.
When I first got to the DMV I tried to do the box test on my own. After trying several times and not doing too good I knew then I was in trouble. Well atleast I know what I'm up against if I ever want to have my license instead of a permit. I WILL practice next time around like crazy on the Roadster. If I'm still having trouble I will just borrow my friends small HD Sportster...... I guess. I won't tell anybody. lol
I've read that here in SC that 30% of motorcycle owners are riding around on permit only. They changed it last year to where one just can't renew their permit and keep riding. They MUST make an effort to get their license. So I HAD to take the road test.

I took it on and old Honda CB 500 and barely passed, the circle within the circle at 5 miles per hr was the killer.
I recommend to anyone that ever asks, to take the test on a smaller bike.

Don't be to hard on yourself, that test is a *****

Wished I knew someone with a Honda Rebel..... I would have borrowed it in a skinny minute.
When I first got to the DMV I tried to do the box test on my own. After trying several times and not doing too good I knew then I was in trouble. Well atleast I know what I'm up against if I ever want to have my license instead of a permit. I WILL practice next time around like crazy on the Roadster. If I'm still having trouble I will just borrow my friends small HD Sportster...... I guess. I won't tell anybody. lol
I've read that here in SC that 30% of motorcycle owners are riding around on permit only. They changed it last year to where one just can't renew their permit and keep riding. They MUST make an effort to get their license. So I HAD to take the road test.

When I went to get my license many years ago when I got into riding again the guy looked at my bike and said nice bike and that I rode it there he past me without a road test

You might check out some of the Ride Like a Pro videos. Very instructive on slow riding and maneuvering. The secret seems to be using the rear brake, a small bit of throttle and slipping the clutch. Also keeping your eyes up and focusing on where you want to go and not focused down in front of the bike. I've tried his methods and its quite surprising what you can do on a very large bike.

I think I was going too slow actually and wasn't doing enough of what you just mentioned or not doing it at all. My best friend/riding buddy was shocked that I failed the test. He has seen me ride wheelies on a sportbike going fast down the interstate but yet can't pass a motorcycle road test. lol
Seriously however ridin real slow and turning that sharp is another world altogether. Another thing is zig zagging around cones. Why would anyone do that in a real life situation? Or turn so sharp to the point the bike wants to topple over? I understand showing the DMV that I can get the bike stopped before a certain distance, showing that I can stop and take off on a hill, use the clutch correctly, as well as some other things but I have a hard time understanding really sharp turning and being able to zig zag through cones!

Back