Exhaust Heat Shield.

barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
I have become rather fed up of "synthetic" bike pants melting onto the rear header. And the other day ended up with the beginnings of a burn in my right calf wearing perforated (Vanson Road Rider) leather pants. I've already added foil backed fibreglass heat shield to one set of pants . but it looks, well, pants!.

So I took to making a heatshield. Starting with this, which was sat idle with no future.

I knocked up this

Took pictures with and without flash as the texture does not show up well. It's Stain black.
Rear is covered with Magmashield --- Thermal Velocity | Hi-Performance Exhaust Wraps and Heat Shields - Made in Manchester, UK

The Plate is Kevlar/Nomex composite. Resists 2000F burn tests.

Road tested today - HUGE improvement. The bolts get a wee bit warm but right now I cant really see a way to reduce that.

Glad it worked and you could learn to chew tobacco and spit accurately ;):D

I have a similar problem with my new CES headers despite having their black ceramic heat shields fitted as well. It happens if I forget and put the flocked bike cover on too soon after a ride. I noted CanberraR3's long ago disaster with caustic oven cleaner on his silver ceramic CES headers, so left it until it carbonised and used an old soft scotchbrite pot scourer that appears to have done the trick without too much marring of the finish.

Back