Exhaust can discoloration

aquilla

Supercharged
Ride
2009 R3, 2005 Orange Tribal
This is something that I never seen on the cans od the standard Rockets but observed it on Roadster on the underneath side at 3/4th maybe, strong discoloration as usually seen on the headers.
What is the cause and is there a cure?

What happens to an engine running 20k too lean?
Lean = heat. Often when an engine is opened up (changing the air filter or exhaust for more free flowing types) a lot more air flows throw. Unless you alter the fuel mixture to match (add more fuel) it runs lean which can cause severe heat damage. Burnt valves, burnt pistons...

Lean = heat. Often when an engine is opened up (changing the air filter or exhaust for more free flowing types) a lot more air flows throw. Unless you alter the fuel mixture to match (add more fuel) it runs lean which can cause severe heat damage. Burnt valves, burnt pistons...

Thanks, this is why I am asking, I understand that Roadsters have this problem "built in", is it because of the emissions maybe, to keep them low at the expense of the engine wearing out?
What I dont get is the area where this discoloration occurs, in the third quarter of the pipe face down, why there and not further to the front and not up where there is less air flow being blocked by the legs.
How many Roadsters with compromised valves and or pistons do we know of anyway?

Am really having a hard time understanding this thread. You change out the exhaust you drop a canned tune and get A dyno. You add air filters you drop a canned tuned and dyno. You add anything you get a canned tune to get you to the dyno. What else can be said.

Stainless pipes discolor as they heat cycle. - Don't like it? - take them off and have them ceramic coated.

This has NOTHING AT ALL to do with running lean. Exhaust gasses are HOT.

My 41 year old Guzzi has stainless pipes, and I guaranty you it does not run lean - The headers discoloured anyway. The tailpipes less, but that may (does) have a lot to do with it being thick walled tube with solid billet lumps inside.

Thank you alI for sharing, just wanted to see if this is common occurrence on the Roadsters, never seen the said phenomenon on the standard Rockets end pipes.
I will probably throw a Predators 3in1 at the bike when in my hands, I wanted to know if I should worry about this as a sign for real problems, existing or imminent.

Last edited:
Back