Engine stalls after fill-up

EskimoPie

Supercharged
Ride
2021 Rocket 3 GT
I live in southern Arizona. It's hot. Very hot. When I happen to fill up on the way to work, and the bike sits in the sun all day, riding home the bike will stall when at idle. I've seen on here that is due to over-filling. It's **** near impossible to not "over-fill" these bikes. After fill-up, even stopping at the first signs of a full tank, the fuel is usually over the "full" plate. What is causing this rough idle/stalling behavior on a full tank? Fuel over-flow dumping into the intake (for emissions reasons)? Is there a fix/mod for this?

I live in southern Arizona. It's hot. Very hot. When I happen to fill up on the way to work, and the bike sits in the sun all day, riding home the bike will stall when at idle. I've seen on here that is due to over-filling. It's **** near impossible to not "over-fill" these bikes. After fill-up, even stopping at the first signs of a full tank, the fuel is usually over the "full" plate. What is causing this rough idle/stalling behavior on a full tank? Fuel over-flow dumping into the intake (for emissions reasons)? Is there a fix/mod for this?
After the bike has been out in the sun all day try removing the filler cap to see if any pressure has built up in the fuel tank

I rode home yesterday with a full tank at 102F. When I got home I thought I smelled a little bit of gas fumes. When I opened the silver lid to see if there was pressure, it exhausted a puff of pressure. I found that the fuel cap had unspun a little, I wonder if that was from the pressure as when I put it on I have it click 3 times. I had to get my key out because it was still in the "freewheel" mode so I couldn't tighten or loosen. I am going to be keeping a closer watch on this.

The bike didn't stall though.

When I fill the bike I put the filler pipe all the way through the hole in the splash plate and turn it on pretty fast. Seems to click off automatically at the correct height, either right at the plate or slightly below.

on mine the gas goes into the evap canister then it is sucked into the motor.
i have put a fender cover over mine do not remember if it helped
probably find out this summer
mine acts up for about a block some times more.
the fix is dont fill it up all the way or get rid of the canister and let it dump on the ground.

Eskimo, I had similar problem.
Don't fill all the way when sitting for long in hot weather or parked on slant toward stand. Gas dumps in cannister like you mentioned.

Last edited:
Back