Engine Ice.. and other Coolants.

bonecarver

Supercharged
Ride
2011 R3T- Jardines / RamAir / PCV/AT
Did you ever do so much studying on something really simple that you managed to confuse yourself to the point of bewilderment?

That is kind of where I am at with replacing the coolant in my R3T.
I read a little here and there and ordered a gallon of Engine Ice which came yesterday. Today I read some more, and then a little more.

Some are reporting corrosion issues with Engine Ice over a short period of time. Some say not to use anything other than Triumph recommended Mobil.

and yet others say .....

So I'm not sure what to use..

The engine Ice is here.

I found this product that very closely compares to the Triumph recommended Mobil

And also this which just seem to be a good coolant...

So before I go any further what are your thoughts..
Thanks

Just ordered some more engine ice. Been running it for two years good to-26f, that should cover you. I to went crazy looking fo Mobil HD anti freeze, only available in uk or at triumph.

I just had mine flushed and changed at the local Triumph dealer when fitting my aftermarket hose kit, front ABS brake flush, Garmin Zumo and Oxford heated grips fitted. They said the radiator hoses were a ***** on these threads and so did the mechanic, in the end they had to remove the radiator but not the pump. I said that's why I brought it to ya!
I have read lots of tales of how easy it is except for one hose which skins knuckles and cuts fingers however you try to do it. I have fat clumsy fingers so like usual followed general advise on these threads and said Fu-- it, the dealer can suffer. It was cheap at twice the price. I was there (retired - reading newspaper and checking accessories) from 0820 until 1430 about 6 hours but they charged just approx. AU $400 labour (US$300) and provided a throttle liner/fitting for free so I considered myself well let off. Dealer hourly rates are often AU$135 an hour here.

I ran Engine Ice for 30K in my R3T. It was the recommended coolant at my preferred dealer in Phoenix. No issues in temps well over 100F.

I'm pretty sure that Engine Ice is just Propylene Glycol based, whereas the recommended antifreeze is Ethylene Glycol based.
The Propylene Glycol has a slightly higher heat capacity, but is more viscous, so it will work your water pump harder. I think that this whole area is another area where vendor obfuscation of what's important is rampant. Either one will work. PG is probably a bit less toxic to the environment.

Triumph's recommendation is for an EG based product. I don't think it matters which you use ... but for my money, I'll just buy the coolant at a local motorcycle dealership. And if I didn't live near a dealer, I'd just go to Walmart and buy a 50-50 EG ready to use mix.

Edit: I just looked at the Engine Ice web site and in the FAQs they identify it as PG. They also go on a fairly unwarranted diatribe about the evils of EG and the wonders of PG.

This company is just selling something "different," shrouding it in difficult to expel mystery, and bad mouthing their competition.

I reiterate ... you can use either one. PG won't hurt anything. But it is not some magic wonder fluid that is worth seeking out. It's just something else to sell.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Engine Ice is just Propylene Glycol based, whereas the recommended antifreeze is Ethylene Glycol based.
The Propylene Glycol has a slightly higher heat capacity, but is more viscous, so it will work your water pump harder. I think that this whole area is another area where vendor obfuscation of what's important is rampant. Either one will work. PG is probably a bit less toxic to the environment.

Triumph's recommendation is for an EG based product. I don't think it matters which you use ... but for my money, I'll just buy the coolant at a local motorcycle dealership. And if I didn't live near a dealer, I'd just go to Walmart and buy a 50-50 EG ready to use mix.

Edit: I just looked at the Engine Ice web site and in the FAQs they identify it as PG. They also go on a fairly unwarranted diatribe about the evils of EG and the wonders of PG.

This company is just selling something "different," shrouding it in difficult to expel mystery, and bad mouthing their competition.

I reiterate ... you can use either one. PG won't hurt anything. But it is not some magic wonder fluid that is worth seeking out. It's just something else to sell.

Exactly!

Back