Emptied The Workshop

Joker

Turbocharged
I have a problem. OK I have numerous problems, but only one of them I'm willing to air here.

The pertinent problem is swapping various bits from my old bike to my new one, some are beyond my competence (swapping the sat nav), others are beyond my limited time (shocks). This resulted in a trip to my dealers to arrange same.

It's Saturday lunchtime, the roads are still more salty than is strictly necessary, but hey, it could be worse, it could be damp with diesel on top. The dealer is only ten miles away, what's the worst that could happen? Half a mile from the house I glance at the clocks to find that I've covered 120 miles since my last top up. How did that happen? I distinctly remember filling her up last time I was out. My how time warps with a supercharger. Thankfully I remember that I only get 24mpg now and if I run out (again) and have to phone the missus I'm gunna need a sling for me arse. Being the brave soul I am I immediately pull in to the nearest garage and fill up with the requisite Premium Unleaded at the very reasonable price of two limbs per gallon. If I ever have the pleasure of meeting our esteemed Chancellor of the Exchequer I'm going to smack him in the mouth. The last time I did this to somebody I broke their jaw, one can only hope.

I proceed happy in the knowledge that I have overcome the biggest threat to my future well being, an irate wife. As she once pointed out, in the midst of a debate about how wrong I am, "you're a big lad, but never forget, you have to sleep sometime". Gulp.

Cloaked in the invincibility of one who has dodged one bullet I crack on to the dealers. I'm minding my own business on a tight right hander when I become aware of a scraping noise. I had thought I wouldn't have to deal with this kind of event since my current love has rear sets. I must remember to look into the source of this unwanted audio accompaniment when I arrive at my destination.

The journey passes unusually quickly, which is becoming a recurrent theme on my excursions. The car park (surely this is a misnomer at a bike dealership) is quite quiet (until I arrive). I pull in and park up as stealthily as is possible on the beast. The roller shutter on the workshop is open. It faces the car park. I knew what would happen. I try to be nonchalant. I step off and remove my lid. I casually reach for a cigarette and light it while not noticing the stirrings in the workshop. As I imagined, the first to emerge is the enthusiastic young mechanic who had worked on my previous bike and listened patiently to my musings on what I would like to improve an otherwise already excessive bike. He'd fitted the sat nav (obviously boring to him, but he'd hidden it well, must have been on a customer care course) and the brake lines (slightly more interesting but hardly exciting).

His first reaction is a polite "Alright mate" and mine is a non committal "Yeah, fine thanks". So far, so good. His Next reaction is "WTF". To which the only reply is "Yeah, I know". He said "I know you mentioned....but what the f--".
"What the F--- does it produce"
"240BHP at the wheel"
Jeeeezzzuuusss H Christ"
"I know"
"What does it go like?"
"Greased weasel ****"
"No, seriously, exactly how quick is it?"
"0 to 140 in ten secands flat"
"Yer ****tin me"
"No, really"
"What's the torque like?"
"200ft lbs"
"Oh my F------g God"
"I know"
"You had any problems with it?"
"Well, now you mention it, I heard a scraping noise on a right hander on the way here and I wondered if it was the pegs or the brake line"
"Jeeeezzz I hadn't noticed the rear sets"
At this point he kneels and runs his finger over the lower edges of the rear sets and brake line.
"Yeah, you've caught the brake line, you're gunna have to watch that"
"I know"

To cut a long story slightly shorter than would otherwise be the case, the workshop gradually emptied into the car park and there was much "He's just said" etc etc.

Needless to say I didn't get around to arranging the necessary work, but I left with a slight grin and a warm feeling.

I'll ring them on Monday and arrange the details.

Today was a good day.

Another quality read.

I don't recall what year your bike is but, from '06 on the position of the brake line is different than the '05's to avoid such contact.

Pig,
Previous one was an 04 and I had the brake line moved to avoid contact with the ground.

This one is an 05 but has Richard's (of TTS fame) rear sets. Mine are a prototype so I don't know if the production versions will suffer from this limitation or not. Either way I was restricted on my previous bike by dragging the frame as well so the rear sets may not be much good apart from saving me from renewing pegs with monotonous regularity.

I haven't got the paperwork to prove it, but the voices tell me I'm saner than you!:eek:

I must be, my bike is slower than yours therefore I am more sane than you. Q.E.D.

But if I go down the Preds and cams route we may have to reassess the relative sanity quotient. That's a few months away yet though.

On the subject of relative sanity, I've got a clutch on its way from Nev, therefore I can risk frying this one. Get the salt off the fkn roads, I'm comin through. Tee Hee.

I've got a friend with an Aston Martin DB9. I think it's about time we had a go.

Back