Electrical ghost

irieco

.040 Over
Ride
R3 Tribal Classic
Has anyone had this problem?

Yesterday my bike would not start. The bike would only give a loud click when pushing the starter button. Then it would go completely dead. Then the lights would go back on and go through the startup sequence and dead again. The gauges would act erratic. It did this for several minutes. The bike finally started and I parked her in the garage.

I thought it was the battery but it wasn’t.

I'm starting to feel like my bike was made by BSA!

I'd say after all the messing around your shop did with the bike, the wires going to the ignition switch probably developed a break. Focus on wiring going to ignition switch and back to fuses and its routing under them frame covers too.

You say you thought it was the battery but it wasnt.... did you take it and have a load test done to it or ya just guessin cause it started? Reason I say is because mine did the same thing and it was the battery........

Did you happen to have just washed it? Mine acted weird one day after washing, turn signals not working, brake light dead, etc. Next day all was well.

Triumph had a bad batch of ignition switches I had the same thing happen to me. At the base of the ignition switch move the cap bet you have a cold solder joint.

I just finished successfully tackling the job of replacing my ignition switch.

I would turn my key on, nothing, I would turn it off and back on, and then the gauges would kick in, but if I turned the handlebars, things would go out again. and if I wiggled the key within the ignition things would go off and on..

Triumph guys were gonna charge me 300 bucks labor.. about 3 hours worth of work.

I bought a new ignition switch from triumph and left the shop with them all chuckling to me "Good luck" ..hahaha

it took me about 5 or 6 hours and a whole lotta bonding with my bike..hahaha

Now that Ive done it once.. I can see it would prob take a good 2-3 hours worth of work.

the hardest parts of the job is dealing with the security screws and trying to get the upper yoke back on when things didn't line up... a litte bit of prying and pounding got it all back together.

I think the ignitions switch was about 125.00

So check your connections first...

I had to have my ignition switch replaced for all the same symptoms, accept mine were worse. Rosie would shut down while under power. Not condusive to fun riding! :shock: I thought the ****ed bike was possesed and was trying to kill me! :shock: :lol:
No buddy take her to the good doctors at Triumph General and get a new ignition switch. It'll take of you.

Back