Easy brackets - help needed

Mike Sands

Supercharged
Ride
roadster 2012
I have never really been able to use the easy brackets very errrm 'easily' and today I cane to fit the panniers after they had been off for a couple of years and I could get one to go on with a bit of hammering with a piece of wood but the other - no way. On the real problem one, I can get each socket to locate OK over the male part if I do it individually, but when I try to put both of them on together there's no way they will slide on. So the slot are obviously big enough.
Anyone have any suggestions. I should have returned them back in 2012 when I bought them because they are anything but 'easy' to use - and the brackets have rusted badly. But I'm stuck with them now and could do with some ideas.
Thanks
Mike

Seems strange, Mike - mine slot on & off very easily.

Is it a case of the keyhole openings need a bit of an extension, with a file maybe?

I was thinking that if the slots are wide enough, maybe the keyhole bits are too close together?

Hmmmm - just found this in a very old thread about EZ brackets, and I think this might be the problem (the slots in the brackets mounted on the bike being slightly out of line when you look along the line of the bike)
'TAKE CARE when tightening the mounts on the bike. If you torque the front mounts to the setting for the stock bolts (64Nm) you will damage the chrome side covers and the brackets may not line up correctly.

Having learnt the hard way, I now just tighten mine 'til they feel tight.'

Will try slackening the mounts off this morning
Mike

Well that worked. Slackened off all the bolts and the EZ brackets went on pretty easily. Then I tightened them bit by bit until the brackets still just fit. Problem is I don't think the bolts are now torqued up enough.
Mike

If there's enough thread protruding past the nuts on the inside ends of the Easy Bracket bolts,
try adding another nut to each bolt end and tighten the bolts against one another.
That will keep everyting in place

Back