Early and Late Model R3s

johnreeder

Friend of God
Ride
R3T 2008
Can someone tell me what the difference is between the early and late models? I noticed when purchasing the heated grips and chrome oil tanks they have a before and after VIN. I happened to purchase the late VIN part number of heated grips and they fit perfectly on my early R3 but, they don't seem to get as hot as I think they should. I really believe they're probably working ok; they just don't live up to my expectations. I still can't figure out what's changed on the later VINs. Anybody know?

JR

I have an early '04 model. The oil drain plugs have been moved on the later ones. Probably has something to do with the oil tank too. Don't know the difference between heated grips though? Let's see.. early models had clear coated wheels, later models have polished wheels.. no clear coat. I'm sure there are a few other minor tid bits, but not much.... Until this '08 Tourer..

Mine 's a very early one, built in Aug. '04 and sold to me in Oct. '04. In addition to what's already been mentioned, the r/h side chrome undercarriage was reshaped at some point in time. And the rear brake line was re-routed accordingly. Don't know zilch about heated grips, though. Jamie

I bought my bike in November, 2004 and the registration says it's a 2005 model.

Mine 's a very early one, built in Aug. '04 and sold to me in Oct. '04. In addition to what's already been mentioned, the r/h side chrome undercarriage was reshaped at some point in time. And the rear brake line was re-routed accordingly. Don't know zilch about heated grips, though. Jamie

I believe it was reshaped and the brake line re-routed the same time the oil drain location was changed. The line was changed because in severe cornering you could perforate the line with the asphalt.

You wouldn't want them grips as hot as a toaster. When it gets a bit more chilly the difference is likely to be huge.

Test: stick you hands in a bucket of ice water for 10 minutes. Provided you can then form a grip :D grab a hold of 'em while in the on position. Next try the same ice bath and grab a hold of 'em in the off position. Timing is everything. Change you mind yet:D Now do it with gloves and report back:cool:

There may be a relationship between VIN numbers and alternator output??

Last edited:
I have an early and put heated grips on it and they are plenty hot.

http://www.r3owners.net/showthread.php?t=1607&highlight=Heated+Grips

I found that I had to notch my bars a touch to keep the wires from being pinched, make sure yours are not pinched. That could cause a reduction in current flow and not so hot grips. When I put mine on high, they start to cook my hands, and I even have the foam sleeves on there.

Tom's is an '05 and Banjobart's is an '06. This is relevant because Tom (correct me if I am not remembering correctly) bought his heated grips from Bart. So that would negate any theory regarding differences in years.

There is a difference in years as far as the grips go and for some reason Bart's bike must have fallen under the "early" range of VINs because that was what the heated grips I bought from him were. The difference may be wiring harness connectors.

Back