Dyno Battle: Harley-Davidson Road King 131 vs. Triumph Rocket 3

Josh does do a good review on his important ideas which works for me. He did leave out the huge cost of the RK compared to the R3 there though. And if one does do the same mods to each bike, the R3 will still stomp the RK. on HP and TQ. He didn't mention the weight difference though, I wonder how much that counts in a side by side race.

Josh does do a good review on his important ideas which works for me. He did leave out the huge cost of the RK compared to the R3 there though. And if one does do the same mods to each bike, the R3 will still stomp the RK. on HP and TQ. He didn't mention the weight difference though, I wonder how much that counts in a side by side race.

Good point on cost, I would think the combined cost of the RK plus the 131 upgrade is going to be madness. Add in any performance mods to the 131 plus tune/dyno time and you are talking a significant investment. Even then, 131 is going to quickly top out on max performance and I would be worried about long-term reliability. We all know the basic intake, exhaust and tune mods to the rocket are just the starting point, with the limiting factor being the size of you nuts and ability to hold on to a 200+ beastie.

100lbs basically over the r3 @800, the rk cant handle a r3 in a race, but those 131s are beast.

Great Video, very curious what the cost would be to have a RK with the 131 from the factory would be.

Great Video, very curious what the cost would be to have a RK with the 131 from the factory would be.
Not sure of difference if you order a new bike with the 131 i read about 4000k difference but i cant remember where i read it to pull it up

Attachments

• BBD03076-C6C8-4C07-9C36-BC05280C94FF.png
    BBD03076-C6C8-4C07-9C36-BC05280C94FF.png
    212.2 KB · Views: 24
I wonder if that's just for parts. I feel like the out the door price with parts, labor, and some hidden accessories that are "required" in order to keep the warranty would be higher than that? If not, the premium price for a new RK would make for for it. I would love to ride one and see what they're like! Then ride next to one whilst riding the Rocket!

Good point on cost, I would think the combined cost of the RK plus the 131 upgrade is going to be madness. Add in any performance mods to the 131 plus tune/dyno time and you are talking a significant investment. Even then, 131 is going to quickly top out on max performance and I would be worried about long-term reliability. We all know the basic intake, exhaust and tune mods to the rocket are just the starting point, with the limiting factor being the size of you nuts and ability to hold on to a 200+ beastie.
The cost would be nearly equal (upgrade wise) to a Carpenter install. About $6k plus exhaust. Apples and oranges. Both cool, I’ve ran both, to some it’s not just which is faster. The M8 is an awesome power plant, as is our beloved triple.

Back