Does reversing the battery polarity blow the ECM

What do you mean?
If there is a problem getting the N light to come on (most likely it is the sensor) then bypass that sensor - Though this has it's negatives and dangers.

Bridging the sensor full time would mean the N is always shining plus you'd never actually know. And the ECU would think you were always in N - which almost certainly has other effects. But as a stop gap with a couple of Positaps and a small switch you could fool the system into believing what you know to be true just to fire up.

But the real solution is replace it.

I had a similar problem on my old Guzzi - but there the N light being on is NOT a prerequisite for function. The sidestand switch WAS. It is bypassed and the harness altered. The Clutch WAS too but that went also decades ago.

I would say probably no permanent damage - these things are designed with expectation that sooner or later someone will do just that.
If pump is priming you know that the ECU is at least powered and giving the appropriate times output to the pump. And if it cranks then ECU also enabling starter relay too
If no spark, then check for sidestand/neutral interlock (is neutral light on?) & the CPS is connected/working
One more question I have checked all the connections. Plugged in a tuneecu and checked and cleared the codes (the tip over sensor was not connected). Still no spark. I the went to look at the maps in tune ecu and there were none is this correct?

So you connected that tip over sensor now yes?

Normally you would see the map ID in the top left margin
But you wont see the actual details of the map without 'getting' it - you need to upload it from The ECU to the screen- it's on one of the top menu lists - dont recall which one of top of my head but will be obvious when you look under each one - it's either get map or read map

Normally you would see the map ID in the top left margin
But you wont see the actual details of the map without 'getting' it - you need to upload it from The ECU to the screen- it's on one of the top menu lists - dont recall which one of top of my head but will be obvious when you look under each one - it's either get map or read map

I have been working on bikes for 40yrs. Yesterday i refitted the battery in my R3 that i am rebuilding and reversed the polarity! yes I know Dumb amateur mistake ( I have beaten myself up enough about it already) . What i am asking is does this blow the ECM or anything else. I have no spark but this is a total put back together including a new second and hand wiring loom so i cant say it had a spark before and now its not. The Fuel pump runs when the key is turned on the speedometer needle does it sweep ( the rev counter does not sweep).
any thoughts?

After waiting for my neighbour for weeks to have a look at this no spark issue ( he is an Auto electrican) The problem was down to a dead crank angle sensor. So i can say for sure that reversing the battery on a rocket doesn't blow the ECM. I now have a bike that sort of starts after 20-30 sec's of cranking a few coughs and then finally runs and idles. Once its hot it runs fine. Anyone have any thoughts?
I have been working on bikes for 40yrs. Yesterday i refitted the battery in my R3 that i am rebuilding and reversed the polarity! yes I know Dumb amateur mistake ( I have beaten myself up enough about it already) . What i am asking is does this blow the ECM or anything else. I have no spark but this is a total put back together including a new second and hand wiring loom so i cant say it had a spark before and now its not. The Fuel pump runs when the key is turned on the speedometer needle does it sweep ( the rev counter does not sweep).
any thoughts?

Back