Willtill

Nitrous
I'm interested in it. I have a Tuneboy but this seems so much more simpler, and the more I read about it, the more it makes sense.

They also are offering a HUGE discounted rate for military personnel (past and present)

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Scooters, Sport Bikes, Watercraft

I can get this from them for $165.00 with the military discount. They also have a newer EJK GEN 3 which allows you to make adjustments on the fly

EFI Controllers - Electronic Jet Kit - Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Sportbikes, Snowmobiles, Watercraft, Dirt Bikes

Anyone here considering, or seen/heard/have had any experience with these EFI controllers for our Rockets?

There's been quite a lot of discussion in just the last day or so in the How to install Tripples thread and (wait for it) a thread specifically about it. Search for Dobeck and you'll find the comments. I have one and it works for me.

yes Sir I certainly am.
I like mine.
Pretty simple.
No cd to keep up with, no canned tune.
No extra cable, and no computer to hook up.
It's all just plug and play.
You plug it in right before the throttle bodies in the line that controls the fuel.
Unplug the factory ends and put the Dobeck male with the factory female.
Same with the Dobeck female to the factory male.
Find a screw for the ground wire and it's ready to go.
You push buttons to change the fuel settings whether at idle,
running on the highway, or WOT.
Like I said, I like mine, it's smaller than the PC3, about the size of a credit card only about 1/4" thick.
Hope this helps.
Oh yea, they give a military discount too.
think I used my VA card, just faxed a copy of it with my order I think it was.
Ya'll ride safe,
skip

They have been selling those to BMW Boxer owners for a long time. They were primarily used to cure the low speed surge so common in earlier model Oilheads. I've owned two of them.

They are much simpler than Tuneboy but they offer nowhere near the precision of adjustment nor do they offer anything beyond adding fuel. IF you can determine your air/fuel ratio they can save you from damaging your engine. However if optimal tuning is your goal, Tuneboy/TuneEcu will give much better results.

Harry is right again.
Why buy such a device if you can not "see' what you are doing to the engine and which only does one thing.
Driving to lean can finally cost you your engine which costs a hell of a lot more then $ 165.-

My opinion: Always get it Dyno tuned to get the maximum out of it and a good feeling that everything is ok, then enjoy riding then for the rest of the years. Only when you change something again you need a check of the Tune.

Hans

They have been selling those to BMW Boxer owners for a long time. They were primarily used to cure the low speed surge so common in earlier model Oilheads. I've owned two of them.

They are much simpler than Tuneboy but they offer nowhere near the precision of adjustment nor do they offer anything beyond adding fuel. IF you can determine your air/fuel ratio they can save you from damaging your engine. However if optimal tuning is your goal, Tuneboy/TuneEcu will give much better results.

Understand what you are saying. I do have a Tuneboy.

Well (and don't misread me here - I'm not becoming an ardent proponent for Dobeck here) there are three phases that they allow you to adjust the fuel enrichment for:

1. Cruise range (enriching fuel mixture at the static nominal to mid-moderate throttle)
2. Acceleration (where the bulk of the "load" tuning seems to be at with their device)
3. WOT (enriching fuel mixture at top end)

I'm going to try it out the Dobeck. Should be here early next week. Want to see if my "butt dyno" approves; more importantly, I think this will give me better confidence that I will have a cooler (less lean) running engine. I don't totally trust the custom maps that are used with Tuneboy; just using them doesn't guarantee that they are appropriate for your engine and it's modified intake/exhaust (if any), unless you can verify it with a Dyno.

There is really no clear guidance on how best to use Tuneboy maps. Wayne from Tuneboy says to highlight all A/F cell ratios and drop them a point or more, to allow a richer fuel mixture across the board; which will generate best power (best power 13:1). Others elsewhere say no, that's incorrect, the Fuel Trim table is only to be adjusted. It becomes very frustrating trying to read between different lines of advice, and come up with a correct adjustment for yourself; especially if you are not benefiting from a Dyno.

I really wish someone knowledgeable on the subject,
would post a tuneECU for dummies sticky.
A beginners class and lead us step by step explaining everything along the way,
so we'd know exactly what we were altering, the why it was getting altered,
and the whole shooting match.
I downloaded it to my laptop, but it makes no sense to me.
The Dobeck works till I get that tuneECU figured out....

Its true that Tuneboy/TuneEcu are not tools that are easily mastered. Without access to a dyno and the ability to accurately measure air/fuel ratios you are shooting in the dark.

The problem with 'butt dynos' is they can be very misleading. A lean running engine can produce a lot of horsepower, right before it starts melting pistons. And, an engine running too rich will be significantly down on horsepower. Its a delicate balance.

If you choose to modify your engine's intake/exhaust parameters you need an accurate measure of exactly what the effects are. If you are going to spend the money on intake and exhaust modifications why would you not also spend a little bit more to make sure you're getting your money's worth? You don't need to master the software yourself. The bang for the buck of getting your bike dyno tuned is significantly better than that set of Jardines or Preds.

Perhaps the new Power Commander will solve the problem Reading a wideband O2 sensor and adjusting the tune in real time seems like a great solution. Hopefully someone will post some dyno results from the new unit soon.

Back